front axle seal help....

LVRockCrawler

need to replace the outer axle seal on the front right (passenger side) - looks like the hub will come out in one piece after pulling 3 bolts off the knuckle - is this right (i know i have to pull the axle disconnect to work the sleeve) - got a new seal from napa - looks like its about 3" dia. (p/n 24866) looks a bit big - anyone out there done this b/4? any tips? looks too easy.... shooting to do this on sunday - along w/me changing out the tie rods.... let me know if you can! thanks!

tie rod ends i can str8 up level with ... but the seals i'm not sure of i'm totally new to jeep specifics

Not as easy as it looks. The seal has to be driven in from the driver's side. I pull both axleshafts and use a section of pipe from the opposite end to run a seal driver to get it to go in. 4 hands help, so get a buddy.

I've also seen some jeepers, and a web writeup, make a puller out of threaded rod to pull the seal into place from the pass. side. Takes a few nuts, a washer the size of the seal, and a washer larger than the axletube diameter. Crank on the threaded rod to pull the seal into the seat with the washer slightly smaller than the seal.

okay... so it DID seem too easy.... it aint leakin that bad yet - i'll just top off the oil and let it go for now - another days project.... thanks! would've hated to get it all pulled apart only to find that out!

I dealt with this before. I did a write-up on JeepHorizons about it. I bought the seal/bearing press tool to put the new seals in. The tool was expensive, but I have 4 Jeeps that have these seals, and it has already paid for itself. I was done in 20 minutes with this tool. If the drivers side seal is leaking you'll have to take the carrier assembly out to get to it. See the link below:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4717&highlight=

Back