How do I get this thing on?

Ragtopman

I am having my transmission rebuilt. When I took it out I noticed that the boot the is on the shifter and keeps stufff from going into the trannsmission was ripped. I ordered a new boot from Jeep but can't figure out how to get the new boot on. Does the ball thing unscrew or something

If you are referring to the stick shift handle, yes they either screw off or

Last edited:
If you are referring to the stick shift handle, they will either screw off or they are on their by an allen head. I'm not sure which is on your model.

On my '03 5 speed, I had to pry off the little shift-pattern cap and then remove a nut - simple as that.

Ya I'm talking about the shifter handle its on a 91 YJ I don't see an allen key so I'm gonna grab it with a pipe wrench and give it a yank

theres a jamb nut underneath - loosen that with a wrench and then the ball will just unscrew - the jamb nut keeps it from spinning during use... same with the range selector... when youre done - back the jamb nut all the way down - then set your knob where you want it and bring the jamb nut up to it and tighten to keep the knob to keep it in place...

I don't mean the knob up on top I am talking or typing about the part that sits in the transmission where the spring is

Oh wow.. I hope you didn't grab the pivot ball with a pipe wrench and damage it.

The boot slides down over the shifters, while the shifters are in place.

Still not what I'm talkin about. This is a little boot about 2inches across covers the piviot ball. I'm going to try slipping it over the piviot ball

You're talking about the small round boot that covers the shift tower?

The ball at the end of the shift lever is permanent, so you'll have to slip it over.

Only other way is to remove the black shifter handle from the lower half, there's some type of joint there but I've never been able to get them apart.

Have to tried puttin some dish soap on the shaft and trying to slip the boot over?

OK. I do have a question as to how to remove the OEM gear shift knob. I have a 98 wrangler, and want to replace the original knob. I read the posts below, and I don't see a jamb nut (although that makes perfect sense). The closest suggestion I saw was to pop the cap at the end off. Before I try this, I would like to know if there are any other ideas. I don't want to screw up the original knob.

Thanks!

Sly

Auto or manual? Auto shift handles generally require a firm pull upward.

OK - I just got info from another source that the cap on the top does pop off and there is a nut inside that must be removed (just like one of the other suggestions on this thread). I'll give that a shot.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.............I have an '03 and if yours is the same, you're absolutely correct. Pop that little "gear-shift pattern thingy" off of there and the nut you are seeking will be revealed. I put some pretty good gouges is my stock knob trying to remove it to put on my Rock Knob. Felt really stupid when I popped that little cap off. Hope my post is not too late to keep you feeling as stupid as I!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, the Rock Knobs are really cool..........every one unique. So, I now have a one-of-a-kind Jeep!!!!! (...........mmmmmmmm, I guess they all are).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back