Proper choke adjustment on YJ???

MrWant

I know this may sound elementary to some people, but can somebody tell me, or show me an article, on how to adjust my choke properly? It's an 89 YJ , 6 cylinder with the Carter carb. I've thrown away almost all the vacuum crap. No more stepper motor! Thank you Mr. Nutter. I've got a new Carter carb, the old style with no stepper. It starts great when cold or hot. I get wonderful gas mileage. It never sputters or stalls. HOWEVER... when it cools off for 10 or 15 minutes (longer in warmer weather), it cranks for about 30 seconds before it catches. That is embarrassing! Then it puffs out some black smoke and away I go. With my old carb, it started immediately, but got about 5 mpg. I think it's a choke adjustment issue. Anybody got other thoughts? Please help!!! Thanks![addsig]

I´ve still got the stock carter setup. I tried adjusting by the book, didin´t work very well. I tried a standard adjustment 1/8" gap when cold, also didin´t work well. I finally loosened off the cap screws until the cap turned (with effort) and adjusted it untill it worked well, by trial and error. Once I got it right I locked the screws down and it´s functioned well enough ever since (though it still does stall on occasion for the first half mile or so).

From the sound of things, about 1 or 2 index marks leaner is where you want to be. Not pumping the gas on a restart seems to help also, turn it over until it pops then if you must, pump it a couple of times.[addsig]

Thanks! Sounds like you had the same trouble adjusting. I'll give that a try when the storm is over and I dig it out.[addsig]

Hey there,

I've got a 90 YJ, but it also has a Carter carburetor w/o the stepper motor, too. I bought a carb rebuild kit and the worksheet manual says to set the choke thermostat cover to 1 - 2 index rich, so that's where I set it and it works fine for me. As far as setting the choke pulloff rod; with a cold engine, I set it so that the space between the top edge of the choke plate and the wall of the carb throat (air horn) measures an 1/8". Those adjustments work well for me.[addsig]

I finally ended up with 4 rich and 0 choke plate. I know it isn´t right but it works. If I adjust, just one mark richer, it will often flood when starting.

Mads setup sounds much more like what it should be.[addsig]

Back