Wheel & Tire Sizes

dandoc

I'm looking to upgrade to the 31x10.50R15 tire size for my YJ (after the lift kit goes in). I've currently got the 15"x7" factory wheels, and was wondering what wheel size would be best for that tire size. I spoke to a local tire guy who recommended the 8" wide wheel due to the sidewalls being flatter when mounted; he said the 7" wheel would cause a very rounded sidewall on the tire.

Does anyone use that tire size with the 15x7" wheels? If so, what's your experience with performance (on/off road, abnormal tire wear, etc.)? What about experiences with the 15x8" wheels and 31x10.50R15 tires?

If I do go with the 15x8" wheels, it'll probably be Cragar's Soft 8's in black. Thanks in advance for the advice!

i ran 32x11.5 BFG a/t's on my factory rims on my old 91 Sahara with no problems....ran them at around 28psi and they lasted the 5 yrs i had the jeep (with about 50% tread left when i let it go).... you should be fine with the 10.5's on 7" rims... just my $.02

Actually, most people would recommend 7" rims for 10.5 tires. I've always run 10.5's on 7" rims since 1985 with no problems.

Thanks for the info., guys. I'd rather run 7" that way I know the spacing will work in the fender wells & on the axle hubs. Don't think there'd be many spacing issues with the 8" wheels, but not having to buy new wheels would be a definate bonus at this point.

Back