Question re: Coil Packs

Jason4x4

I just changed the spark plugs in my TJ for the first time today. It's an '06 (for those of you who may have forgotten me ;) ). When I was at the auto parts store, I noticed they listed a "spark plug boot kit", which I'm told replaces the boots on the coil pack that connect to the spark plugs. It was about $34 for 2 (meaning I'd need 3 sets and about $112 to do the 4.0L). The guy at the store told me that "you only need those if one of them goes bad, and they almost never do.". Now, I know these guys aren't always the most knowledgeable people, so I'm just wondering if that is true, or if the boots are something I should replace routinely. FWIW, I just got the plugs as I'm only at 18k anyway. But, for future reference, what's the deal with the boots??

I wouldn't mess with them unless they are cracked, or you're getting a check engine light for a cylinder misfiring.

What's wrong with preventative maintenance?? :)

It was running just fine, just felt like it was a good time to change 'em. My other (older) cars get new plugs once a year, why should my Jeep be any different??

The real reason was that I was bored and wanted to tinker with my Jeep, ok? Is that a crime? :)

It was running just fine, just felt like it was a good time to change 'em. My other (older) cars get new plugs once a year, why should my Jeep be any different??

The real reason was that I was bored and wanted to tinker with my Jeep, ok? Is that a crime? :)

I don't have a problem with that, either. Why wait till they go bad? I generally change mine about once a year, or every 20k miles, whichever comes first. Now that I'm driving a company vehicle, at the rate I'm putting miles on the YJ, if I waited till 20k, I'd be in my late 70's! :lol:

HAHA!!! Sorry, I was just curious. Once a year for me is about 30K+......plus the manual says about 30K for the 4banger. Tinkering is good.....boredom is bad!!! You satisfied my curiousity!!!

The way fuel injected engines run these days, I doubt I'll change plugs too many more times in my life. My 97 Suburban hit 100k before I changed the plugs. They looked fine.

I dont know... I stil change them every 20K or so even though they look good; prevention tends to be MUCH cheaper than fixing!

Back