Replacing u joint

88YJ6

Hey so how would I go about replacing a u joint i googled it but didnt get any good hits so anyone here know how?
what am i saying of course you guys know how
anyways got an 88yj stock as far as i can tell or oem
thanks

Use a bench vise as a press. Take a socket alittle samller then the ujoint cap on one side and a socket with a larger opening on the other side. set it on the cap and tighten it up in the vise as it will push the other side out. Easier then a hammer(saves fingers too)

Easiest way in a parking lot is to just use a hammer and two different size sockets. One size big enough for the u joitn cap to fit in, yet small enough to support the driveshaft, and one slightly smaller than the u joint cap. Pull the clips from the driveshaft, set the driveshaft on the larger socket, and drive the u joint down with the smaller socket.

so its not too hard to do it in a parking lot, awesome...
i read one of the instructionals someone linked and it says replacing the grease in the cross? anyone have any recommendations?
thanks

ok so i figured out how to remove it but any suggestions on which brand? spicer, omix?

and greasable or not?

Spicer, Carquest uses Spicer parts so go there. They don't actually say Spicer on them, but if you look closely they have the Spicer diamond on them. By the way, if it's the rear shaft put a drip pan under the transfercase cuz fluid will come out when you pull the shaft.

so its not too hard to do it in a parking lot, awesome...
i read one of the instructionals someone linked and it says replacing the grease in the cross? anyone have any recommendations?
thanks

To replace the factory grease in the cross for the greasable u-joints, first remove the end caps and install the zerk (nipple) fitting. Then, using a grease gun, pump new grease into the zerk fitting until all the factory grease is removed from the cross. For non-greasable u-joints, take a rag or paper towel and wipe off all traces of factory grease, including in the dimples at the ends of the cross. Completely fill the nipples with new grease. For both styles, wipe out the factory grease in the end caps, and wipe in a layer of new grease with your finger. DON'T LOSE THE NEEDLE BEARINGS!

Whichever grease you use, make sure it's rated for a MINIMUM temperature of around 300ºF. U-joints can get HOT! Some people swear by a certain brand of lubricants. Whichever brand you decide on, make sure you read the applications portion on the container and buy the one that's right for you. I use a grease that's applicable to GM, Chrysler, and one or two other makes of vehicles... I think it's from Valvoline.

thanks for the input, im gonna try and do it this weekend, so ill post how it goes

hey I would like to thank everyone who helped me figure this out....
however, being the lazy teenager I am, I just took a real look at the problem and found out that it was not actually my u joint, but the bolt that holds it to the diff that was loose. Tightened that up and took it for a spin and ran fine.

:D

Congrats on finding the real problem! Even though you didn't have to replace a u-joint (this time), you now know how to do it in the future (when you'll need to do it). ;) Enjoy the smoother ride while you've got it. So, when does the lift kit come into play?

first when I get the money, second when I get the money

Back