Steering Damper???

mercab18

I have to replace my Steering Damper on my 97 TJ. Someone told me that I need a special tool to remove one of the bolts on the front. Anyone know what this magic tool is?

Just had mine replaced at the dealer (warranty). They replaced it with a stock one so when my warranty is up (16k miles in the future) I'll upgrade to a heavy duty damper myself.

Most oem dampers are fine.

The special tool is a BFH, give the tierod a good smack on the side of the hole where the mounting bolt goes through the tierod. This temporarily eggs the hole and it'll pop out. Method works great for tierod ends and balljoints too.

:agree:
Most oem dampers are fine.

The special tool is a BFH, give the tierod a good smack on the side of the hole where the mounting bolt goes through the tierod. This temporarily eggs the hole and it'll pop out. Method works great for tierod ends and balljoints too.

:agree: And I DO mean a BIG FH.... I REALLY had to smack mine to get it to come loose! I replaced mine with a Skyjacker one that was about $30 on Quadratec if I remember correctly.

If the puller, BFH, or a combination of the two don't work for some reason, consider using heat from a torch in addition to the aformentioned methods. Good luck to ya!

two things:

1. what's a BFH tool?

2. does a sterring damper actually make that big of a difference? i bought a pro comp mx6 because that's what type shocks i have and i love them.

1. Big F*ing Hammer
2. They help reduce vibrations, especially if you have larger than stock tires. I don't think the make really matters, but I've got a pro comp too.

I replace mine with normal hand tools - it was pretty easy.

The easiest way to get it out is to unscrew the nut about a quarter of an inch and just nail that with the BFH. Hit the tie rod if you want, but you're only chancing bending it. If you're just throwing it away then just tail the hell out it. Leave the nut on so you don't mushroom the head of the bolt to the point it won't fit back through the hole.

two things:

1. what's a BFH tool?

2. does a sterring damper actually make that big of a difference? i bought a pro comp mx6 because that's what type shocks i have and i love them.

The BFH (Big F*ing Hammer) is the most important tool in your toolbox...

As for how much of a difference, I would say minimal unless you got REALLy big tires. I replaced mine because the Jeep was 14 years old and I was planning on lifting it and droping larger tires in (I did lift it, but the tires have remained so far!). But I agree with Terry that they are suppossed to reduce vibrations when using larger wheels and tires...

Back