1. 1983 cj and 1992 yj hard top issue

Iv been told by hard top dealers a 1983 cj 7 and a 1992 yj hard top wont fit each other.I wannaa buy this guys hardtop and doors off his cj and put it on my yj.On line i see a few guys said they can.Does anyone know for sure if this is possible with out too drastic of a modification!!!Dealer says back tail gate wont match...THANKS

Re: 1983 cj and 1992 yj hard top issue

I had a YJ hardtop on my CJ for years and It fit fine. They are right about the tailgate though. The CJ tailgate opens like a pickup, and the YJ swings like a door. When using the YJ hardtop on a CJ, you'll have to open the back window of your hardtop before you can let the tailgate down.

I'm not sure if the reverse is true, and a YJ top will go on a CJ, but I'd bet it would.
    My 2005 Wrangler Build Thread

“He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.” -Compressions 8.7:1

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    I had a YJ hardtop on my CJ for years and It fit fine. They are right about the tailgate though. The CJ tailgate opens like a pickup, and the YJ swings like a door. When using the YJ hardtop on a CJ, you'll have to open the back window of your hardtop before you can let the tailgate down.

I'm not sure if the reverse is true, and a YJ top will go on a CJ, but I'd bet it would.
    My YJ hardtop has a rail for the tailgate to lock the rear window in place, so it would be impossible to open the window before the tailgate... Dont know how this would work on the CJ (haven't been in one since the early 80's!).

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

yj hard tops changed in i think 1990.

the top will fit, but you will not be able to close the rear glass, oin 1990, instread of the rear glass being secured by a rotary handle in the center of the hatch, the tailgate held the hatch closed, on a CJ where the tail gate needs to be closed before the hatch, this setup simply won't work. if you are hell bent on making it work, you will either need to
    1. look for a hard top pre 1990
    2. swap on a YJ tailgate, I think two holes for the cj spare tire will match up with the YJ hinges, but the other two need to be drilled.
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

Sorry not sure if i wrote this right or im not understanding,I have the1992 yj and am going to buy the1983 cj top.Also is the back tail gate a huge issue as far as closing it or is it just not gonna work!!!

Thanks for all the help!!And in answering my on Quest. the hardtop fit perfactly the doors did as well with a lil adj.As far as the tail gate as long as you have NO spare tire NO problem works like a charm!!!So a 1883 cj top and doors will fit a 1992 yj!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktjeep View Post
    And in answering my on Quest. the hardtop fit perfactly the doors did as well with a lil adj.As far as the tail gate as long as you have NO spare tire NO problem works like a charm!!!
    Glad to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by ktjeep View Post
    So a 1883 cj top and doors will fit a 1992 yj!!!!!!
    Hmmm.. I didn't know they made Jeeps in 1883!

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrabat View Post
    Hmmm.. I didn't know they made Jeeps in 1883!

Ya' learn somethin' new every day.