Perfect shifting?

slavic98tj

At sea level, on a level street... no incline
lets say freeway as an example.

With a 1998 TJ wrangler, 4.0L, Inline6, (1,2,3,4,5,R) manual transmission

What are the perfect RPM i should be shifting at?

ADvise and tips ?

It doesn't seem to me that there's an objective answer to this question. It all depends upon how much you value power over gas mileage (or vice-versa), how quickly you need to get up to speed, what you're trying to do, etc. My old YJ used to have a light that came on telling me when to upshift; I don't know if the TJs do or not. It seems a bit silly to me. You should feel when to shift, not rely on an instrument panel. Just off hand, for an I-6, I'd think the shift points would be anywhere between 2.5Gs for economy up to 4+ for power. Having said that, I haven't driven one in forever, and I don't pay attention to the tach. You know when to shift by listening and feeling.

2000 rpm is what I've been doing for a while just for the best mileage possiable.
I was just wondering if you all did the same.

thanks

Shift with the light for best mileage, lately I've heard 2000rpm recommended.

I dont think the light will help if you have changed any parameters; I have 31's and the stock out 4.10, so it keeps telling me to shift at about 1,500RPM's, and there is no torque at that level. When it is windy, I get better mileage ignoring the light and driving in 4th than shifting to 5th (which ussually means a WOT to maintain speed).

I dont think the light will help if you have changed any parameters; I have 31's and the stock out 4.10, so it keeps telling me to shift at about 1,500RPM's, and there is no torque at that level. When it is windy, I get better mileage ignoring the light and driving in 4th than shifting to 5th (which ussually means a WOT to maintain speed).

Ahhh Thank you for this post!

I failed to mention that i also have 31's on with stock 4.10 differentials.
Without recalibrating my gauge cluster or computer, i get the same exact problem.

Well it isn't much of a problem now... like the posts above says, all i need to do is feel / hear and that perfect shifting right there.

Thanks for all the input!

If you have not recalibrated the speedo, you are loosing efficiency! A correct speedo will improve mpg... The computer uses the speedo infor to calculate the fuel curve.

Should i just go to AAA and have them recalibrate it or is that an Eazy fix?

Is your '98 TJ a Rubicon? Wondering how you got 'stock' 4.10 gears.

Back