Leafs seized?

Lucihale

I've got a '73 CJ5. I cannot get the suspension to move more than a couple of inches from rest. There's a complete fiberglass body kit on it, but it would seem that whoever put that on (previous owners) did many of the modifications to the Jeep, all of which were done well. My question is- would converting to fiberglass from steel drop the weight enough to make my leaf's load rating too high to be budged? or is there something I'm not seeing.

I did pull one of the shocks off, and it moves freely-ish. Certainly isn't binding at least.

Welcome to the Z.

I'd bet the shackle bushing sleeves are seized to the bolts, not allowing the leaf pack to move separate from the shackle.

i agree w/bounty... either seized or over-torqued - loosen them up and see if it helps - if so... tighten them to get rid of any play and use a jamb nut to keep it that way... let us know....

Actually since that seemed so easy, I just tried it this morning. Sadly, or maybe it's better this way, the bolts moved freely; the suspension does not. This sucks though, I was kinda banking on shackles being the problem, as those are the last moving parts for me to tinker with... If it helps, all four are doing the exact same thing. It's great that I have no body roll, but driving a jackhammer isn't that awesome. I'm still open to suggestions. I'd even try buying new packs, but the problem is that if it's the load rating, then new ones will be a waste of money until I figure it out... Lemme know if you want pictures or anything of the sort. I'll certainly try my best to figure this out.

I'm pretty sure that there's a small lift on there. Not much though. Probably an inch MAYBE two. They were crazy stiff you say.... Hmm... I can't imagine anyone ENJOYING a ride like that. But that could be it. I'd like to exhaust all options for repair before purchasing new parts... Is there a way to find out what lift was put on there?

Okay! Now the bolts that hold the leaf pack to the frame (no shackle) seems like it's frozen solid on all but the front passengers... Because I managed to free that one. I need to get an impact wrench to free the others. However, it didn't really seem to help that one side, so I'm thinking that the springs may actually be retarded-stiff. Which means.... I'm **** outta luck.

There's a few possibilities causing the stiff ride, like short add-a-leaves or stiff gas-charged shocks. What brand springs and shocks?

Take a close look at the leaf packs and try to determine if there's a short or long add-a-leaf used.

I don't know what to look for on the leaves, however, the shocks are some older **** Cepeks. What would a short add a leaf look like? Hmm... Lemme try and get a picture. Then you'll see it clear as day.

Back