Installed my leaf springs

Snitty

As I posted a few days back... I have been intending to install some add-a-leafs to my packs.... I bought a couple chevy 1/2 ton spring packs and pulled them apart, sanded them, matched strengths, and cut to various lengths. I installed the new leafs in the rear today, I plan on installing the front tomorrow. I am VERY happy with the suspension now. I used to sag way below stock and could never carry passengers in the back seat... This install gave me 2" over stock. for $30 i would say this is a GREAT deal. BUT... I have a few drawbacks.
When driving home, I found that I had a BAD vibration at 55 mph as well as when I idle down in 3rd gear. AND... even worse... when i start hard in first gear.. I have some popping noises. At first I thought it was something not tightened down all the way, or it could have been Ujoints... When I start in first with high rpm (which for me is 1500 to 2000) I get something between a clang and a pop. A few times it would pulse as if it were something binding in the drivetrain.
I had a friend drive it while i looked under it... I couldn't find anything going wrong... If I could have found something, it wouldn't bother me... but I got nothing. I am hoping I don't have a damaged differential... I doubt it is... but i'm gonna look incase. I am going to install a 1" shackle lift to turn my pinion up and possibly drop the Tcase 1/2" to get the driveshaft a little better in line. I know 2 inches is not much of a lift... but i've had problems with my drivetrain before.. I want to eliminate anything that could cause vibration.
So, because its a jeep, and its doing they all do, i'm accepting the flaws so far and I'm very happy with my inexpensive repair/lift. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works out. [addsig]

Hope it turns out to be an ez fix! Keep us posted as it goes along! tug :-D [addsig]

Check all your bolts and nuts. Make sure everything is tight. in the driveshaft area mostly. If everything check out, take a look at the transfercase. Wild guess, but I had a similar problem with those sort of noises. This was when I had a t-case drop and as soon as I took out the spacers it went away. I found that my transfercase had too much play in the bushings and my cat-converter was hitting my skid-plate. Just an idea. Keep us informed... [addsig]

I love the idea to sand the springs down, I never would have thought of that. Did you use an under engine coat to put a black finish on them? My springs are so nasty I'm gonna have to think about doing that. How hard is it to take off the springs?[addsig]

I was going to use paint... but in my rush I didn't really have the time to do so... I used a wire wheel to sand them down, then sprayed and wiped some oil on them to get the dust off... to remove them... it takes about 30 minutes at most, IF the bolts come off easy...
jack up frame... put on stands... remove tire... support the axle with a jack... remove Ubolts and plate... you might have to really hit on the springs to loosen them from the perch... loosen or cut the center pin (good idea to replace)... the only tough part now is to remove the spring retainers. I ended up cutting mine and making new ones.... boom.. they are off... do that in reverse to replace them... [addsig]

Well the install is complete... I went back to the garage today and installed the front springs. This was a much faster job than the rear.... mainly because I had all the preparation done before hand.
I posted earlier about a clanging problem while starting in first. Well... It happened to be that one Ubolt nut wasn't torqued very well. It was allowing my springs to open up and slap each other. I put better retainers on them as well... its all good now.
I still get the driveline vibrations... I also figured out what it was from... When I replaced my transmission, it was from an older cherokee. the older transmission case had different bolt locations for the transfer case... this forced my transfer case to be tilted rather than perfectly horizontal. My Tcase was rested on my skidplate rather than just the center mount. This lifted the whole case an inch higher than normal. when I put my new springs in, it lifted the rear 2'' higher than stock. Then with the 1" raised output shaft, the driveshaft has a pretty nasty angle. I have 3 options here... I can cut out my skidplate to allow my case to sit right, which will weaken my skidplate.. I can lower the skidplate to lower the transfer case... or i can get a CV shaft built. I am going with the shaft and making a SYE. That will be the most effective solution, and it will allow for further lifts.
Over all... for about $30, I got myself a real nice 2" lift. During my test rides... I no longer ended up hopping all over the road. Also... this is a pretty stiff suspension, this being because it is from a chevy full sized pickup. not many people are fans of stiff suspensions.... but I am a lover of it... I love the heavy duty truck feel, plus its essential with my plow. There's another advantage here.... There is ABSOLUTELY no problem with axle wrap.. upon take-off... ALL of my torque is applied right to the wheels rather than being sucked up by my suspension... I am very very happy with it, next comes the 1" shackles and the driveshaft, after that, i'll be moving on to either body work or the stroker kit

edited by: Snitty, Mar 10, 2003 - 11:27 PM[addsig]

Back