Think'in of a 2.4L 5.3 GM swap in 04 TJ

TJorbust

Anybody ever think about swap'in a 5.3 out of a 1500 1/2 ton chevy into a TJ? My TJ has the 2.4L in it for now, but would like to move up to something larger in the future. I know that a lot of guy's want to go with a Hemi, but i dont want to have to fork out for the 5 speed auto. I believe that the 5.3 would put out enough power for me. :?|

Here take a peak at this page... should tell you everything you want to know about the swap.... Converting the TJ / LJ Jeep Wranglers to GM Engines

The 5.3L in 04 pumped out 295HP and 335 TQ.
The 5.7L hemi motor pumps out 345 HP and 375 TQ.
Your stock motor is the basic same motor in the Neon and is known as a Neon Variant motor... 150HP and 165 TQ

The Stock Transmission for the Chevy/GMC is the 4L60E in early years the 4L65E in later years and the 4L80E in the heavy duty tow option.

If you need any photos of how they look in the Stock GM trucks let me know, I think we have an 08 all apart at work. I can get you photos you would never get to see anyplace else. Oh if anyone needs photos of the Transmission and transfer case in the Dodge PU with the hemi let me know. I rip them apart weekly.

Here take a peak at this page... should tell you everything you want to know about the swap.... Converting the TJ / LJ Jeep Wranglers to GM Engines

The 5.3L in 04 pumped out 295HP and 335 TQ.
The 5.7L hemi motor pumps out 345 HP and 375 TQ.
Your stock motor is the basic same motor in the Neon and is known as a Neon Variant motor... 150HP and 165 TQ

The Stock Transmission for the Chevy/GMC is the 4L60E in early years the 4L65E in later years and the 4L80E in the heavy duty tow option.

If you need any photos of how they look in the Stock GM trucks let me know, I think we have an 08 all apart at work. I can get you photos you would never get to see anyplace else. Oh if anyone needs photos of the Transmission and transfer case in the Dodge PU with the hemi let me know. I rip them apart weekly.
Cool! ill take any photo i can get, even though its gonna be a few yrs before my 04 SE is all mine. Right now im throw'in ideas around, and the 5.3 sounds like a winner to me. I just hope that i can slap a stick behind it.

You want Photos from under the truck or Over the top of the Transfer case and trans area... I Just got done doing a 3" body lift and 3" susp lift on an 08 Escalade last week... but that is the 6.0L motor We have at last count (if memory serves) 4 Gm 2500's and 3 Dodge Mega cabs at work we are working on... plus the Caddy. I am just not sure how many of them are 4WD right off the bat, but I will look for you and see what I can get for you as soon as I get them into welding and get them opened up.

5.3L is a great engine, I sure do miss the one in the TrailBlazer we just got rid of. I'd take one in my YJ.

You want Photos from under the truck or Over the top of the Transfer case and trans area... I Just got done doing a 3" body lift and 3" susp lift on an 08 Escalade last week... but that is the 6.0L motor We have at last count (if memory serves) 4 Gm 2500's and 3 Dodge Mega cabs at work we are working on... plus the Caddy. I am just not sure how many of them are 4WD right off the bat, but I will look for you and see what I can get for you as soon as I get them into welding and get them opened up.
Yeah i would like a quick shot at the way the bell housing looks on or off the block, and maybee the motor mounts, the intake, and the front of the motor, would be cool. p0p

Don't know about a TJ, but they work pretty good in a CJ. Dollar to horsepower wise, you get more for less with the 5.3.
BTW, you can get 325hp out of the 5.3 engine with a simple computer flash. You will have to get it flashed anyway to remove the vehicle anti theft system and remove the transmission controls if you opt out of the 4L60E transmission.
Search my posts on here and you will find all sorts of info from my 5.3 swap.

Back