Just bought new baby 88 YJ need help

shatteredsoul

Ok after years of wanting Jeep I finally went broke to buy this 88 Wrangler,however I need to do some things to it to get it where I want it and also dependable.Its my only vehicle and daily driver,I can tell the other owner babied it and also did some things to it but theres some confusion under the hood I want to address.The carb seems to be factory and just rebuilt(carter-junk?) it seems very cold natured ie 50 degrees and still have to manual choke it doesent seem right to me.Then again its been awhile since Ive had a carb engine.I bought new vacuum lines to replace tommorrow but some of them just seem to be wrong all together.I really need a good complete engine vac diagram and yet to find it.The other thing with it is the original air filter setup has been long gone for a say 12" on top of the carb air filter.The eingine also has a valve cover breather (mr gasket chrome)that seems to let too much oil to pass by and onto the valve cover so Im not sure how to address this.The PCV valve is fine so Im wondering if theres not enough air flow to keep the oil inside the valve cover?? I know it needs to breath somewhat but Im wondering if if I capped that whole grommet on the front of the valve cover if it would breath enough through the PCV valve? Last I have a rebuilt 89 or 90 4.0 ready to go will any of this engine work in my 88?If so what all would I have to do to put it in there or can I just change over from EFI to carb or go with a ECM and all the sensors??? I know this is long winded but Im like a kid in a candy store and crave alot of info of the ins and outs of a 88 wrangler.Any and all help is appreciated with my issues and concerns.A big Jeep wave from Portland TN from a Jeep newbie.

Welcome..As far as it being 50 out and needing a choke,that should be normal.I have a TJ that is fuel injected and at 50 the choke still kicks on for a bit till engine temps comes up some.As far as the rest of your questions I am sure there will be some one more qualified than me to answer them.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like one of the previous owners did a Nutter Bypass. That may be why the vacuum wires seem messed up. If it is bypassed, I would keep it that way. It takes the electronics out of the Carter carb, and upgrades the ignition.

Also, you say you have a 12 inch air filter? Makes me wonder if you have a Holley or Motorcraft carb. Is there a number stamped on the driver side of the carb? Say, 1.08?

The Carter is not always crap. Some TLC can fix them up. From what I've read, their idle tubes get clogged and that's what make them seem crappy.

I looked at the carb and it is a carter/weber not sure what #.The air filter is one of them chrome aftermarkets that fits the carb well.After looking at all the vacuum diagrams my Jeep has the PCV valve at the back of the valve cover not in the front like in the pics.I wonder if my oil leak would stop if I put the PCV in the front grommet at the chrome breather in the rear one? Thanks for the link zilla theres alot of info on there to help me get all my vacuum straightened out.Thanks guys I feel like Im on the right trck.

Although I can't help you with carb questions, welcome to the Z. Hope you get everything sorted out and have fun with your new girlfriend...er...YJ. :lol: Good luck!

Yes welcome to the Z. Is it a 4.2L and if it is you would find benaficial to put a howes fuel injection on it for performance and fuel mileage

CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM

All 2.5L 4 - cylinder 4.2 and 4.0L 6 - cylinder engines are equipped with a Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) system .The CCV system performs the same function as a conventional PCV system, but does not use a vacuum controlled valve.
On the 4.2 and 4.0L 6 cylinder engines, a molded vacuum tube connects manifold vacuum to top of cylinder head (valve) cover at dash panel end. The vacuum fitting contains a fixed orifice of a calibrated size. It meters the amount of crankcase vapors drawn out of the engine.
On 2.5L 4 cylinder engines, a fitting on drivers side of cylinder head (valve) cover contains the metered orifice. It is connected to manifold vacuum.
A fresh air supply hose from the air cleaner is connected to front of cylinder head cover on the 4.2 and 4.0L engines. It is connected to rear of cover on 2.5L engines.
When the engine is operating, fresh air enters the engine and mixes with crankcase vapors. Manifold vacuum draws the vapor/air mixture through the fixed orifice and into the intake manifold. The vapors are then consumed during combustion.

Back