YJ Auto steering column swap?

lowsider

1991 YJ auto column was basically ruined by previous owner. What swaps in place of this, there aren't that many auto Jeeps and it looks very familiar....

YJ autos had the shifter on the tree? I thought they had em' on the floor.

Anyways, if it's on the floor, try a column from a Cherokee. I think they are the same. If that fails you could always just mod a manual YJ column to work.

Unfortunatly it is on the tree, why they wouldn't just leave it on the floor so all the YJs shared the same steering column I do not know. My buddy said it looked like the one in his mid eighties Monte Carlo, anyone else have some insight?

I'm not sure what particular year breakpoints to look at but they are similar to the older model Chevy pickup truck columns. You might be able to find that in a junkyard. Is it not a rebuildable unit anymore?

It may be rebuildable i am going to try. But the cast bezel that goes around where the gear shift is has been broken in two and the turn signal switch is smashed and the thing is flopping around in at least two places. Ive seen the articles about the bolts half way down and figure Ill give that a shot, but either way Ill need to buy pieces for it. The guy I got it from said there was an auto column on a parts ticker a couple hours away and they wanted $300!

Back