Fuel PSI question

camcdaniel1

1995 Wrangler 4.0 what turns the fuel pump on /off. I realize the rail PSI is controled by a vac reg. When you trun the key on the pump runs till it builds Psi then turns off. My jeep runs for a few minuates then starts to stumble. I can turn the key off and right back on and it runs fine for few minuates then starts to stumble again. Is there a sensor that turns the pump on and off?

The ECU controls the fuel pump via the ASD relay which in turn controls the fuel pump relay; several sensors give input to the ECU to control this. I would try replacing the fuel filter, and if that doesn't do the trick then hook up a fuel pressure tester to see if the fuel pressure is the problem.

Another thing. I removed the vac line to the reg and it made no differance in the driving. Should it be able to run with the vac reg line disconnected?

PSI should be around 40 I believe. Disconnecting the regulator should actually increase fuel pressure, I would keep it connected to avoid damaging the pump or causing a leak. There is a number of things that could be causing your Jeep to die; what engine codes are you getting from the check engine light? (turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on in under 5 seconds, but NOT all the way to start).

Back