YJ full doors fit a TJ?

Hoyas 011

The title really explains itself I was wondering if you could possibly put full doors for a YJ on a TJ. I currently have half doors with top sliders, and I cant find any TJ full doors for sale. Theirs a bunch of YJ full doors for sale so I was just wondering if it was possible to put YJ doors on a TJ?

If the YJ top rear corner is rounded, that will fit but either you replace the striker and mod the mount or replace the latch assembly for the door to shut.. I have a set of 2004 TJ doors painted white but it needs all the guts that goes in it. It's a factory Mopar doors.

IIRC 1987 or 88 was the year that possibly had the square upper rear door corner. Even then it depended on what top came from the factory when the jeep was built. I have CJ-7 doors on my 98 TJ, like SH said change the latch or striker and they will work fine.

NO! CJ and YJ doors will not fit on a TJ properly at all regardless of year unless you fold the windshield down, and that kinda make the full doors pointless. the angle of rake on the windshields are slightly different

Let me clearify... I am talking strickly the full doors. half doors will interchage, and you can change the latching mechanism. the bottom door openings are identical between all the model years.

Yes CJ and YJ full hard doors will fit a TJ without moving the windshield. I have done it, right now my 98 TJ has an 04 hard top on it and early model CJ-7 doors that I use as "trail doors". I also have a set of 99 full hard doors that fit without making any changes from the CJ-7 doors. The only adjustment I did to the CJ-7 doors was a little bit on the hinges to get the gap even around the door.
The "A" pillar on TJ's is tapered. This allows for the very slight difference in the windshield angle, yet the angle that meets up with the door is the same as a CJ/YJ. The CJ/YJ both had straight "A" pillars so the door side of the pillar was the same angle as the windshield.
Here is a picture for ya, granted the door is not shut because I have not changed the door latches yet. But the "A" pillar fits nicely to the door.

Attachments

• DSCN0776.JPG
    DSCN0776.JPG
    786 KB · Views: 1,687
I had always heard that they didn't fit, but I've never tested it myself. Ggg, would you mind uploading some more photos once you get the proper striker on (or just when you take the existing one off)?

Sure TM what would you like to see specifically? I believe you can click on my picture above and it should zoom in. You can see the door has wing windows which we all know the TJ never had.

A photo of it closed and a photo from the inside would rock.

I think it would save us a ton of money if we could just buy CJ doors for our TJs (as it looks like we can).

Are JK doors different as well?

I do no know about the JK doors. As you can see the interior is pretty full from moving to my new house. It may be a little while to get an interior shot, but I'll try.

A photo of it closed and a photo from the inside would rock.

I think it would save us a ton of money if we could just buy CJ doors for our TJs (as it looks like we can).

Are JK doors different as well?

The dimensions of the door on the JK is a completely different beast from the rest..

I am not familiar with the JK at all, but after doing a google search for a photo of a JK it is obvious from the shape it will not work.

Then I stand corrected, I've tried tj doors on my yj and they would not close, there was some binding at the windshield. is this a one way swap? Did you do anything else? I don't doubt your results, but I have had different experience. I ended up going with the 1/2 doors instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

As far as I know it should not be a one way swap, the only adjustment I made was to the hinges to adjust the door gap to make it even around the door. This adjustment would need to be done anyway due to production tolerance differences from one jeep to another.
Is there any way your windshield could have been slightly out of position? Such as running a bikini top, or other soft top that pulls the windshield back.

out of position.. probably. this is going back quite a few years ago, I don't even have a windshield now, nor do I have doors. if you did it, it is possible then.

Sorry I took so long.

Attachments

• DSCN0817.JPG
    DSCN0817.JPG
    815.8 KB · Views: 3,533
  • DSCN0818.JPG
    DSCN0818.JPG
    769.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • DSCN0822.JPG
    DSCN0822.JPG
    787.5 KB · Views: 4,014

I suppose truthfully it is not a perfect "Pebble Beach concourse" car show quality fit. But as far as AMC quality Jeep parts go it fits in my book. Literally all I did was adjust the door hinges to get the door gap closer than what it was. I removed the TJ Nader pin, and fabricating a CJ7 style that will bolt into the existing TJ tub holes.

Last edited:
Are you sure those are YJ doors? I've never seen YJ hard doors, but the ones in your photo look exactly like some doors I had on my CJ7. I remember I use to push the button on the side by accident and lock them all the time.

Either way you're right about YJ doors fitting on a TJ. They look like a good enough fit to me.

Sorry for the confusion, those are CJ7 doors. I stated earlier in this thread that CJ and YJ doors will fit a TJ. We all know CJ and YJ doors are interchangeable, but lots of people think TJ was different. So if CJ doors fit then YJ will too. If anybody says they do not fit link them to this thread and tell them to "read em and weep".
Cheap doors for everyone!

Time to find some CJ 7 doors that are not rusted to heck now..:lol:

Back