Help With Code P0016

lightbulbguy

I have a 2005 Wrangler, 6 cylinder and just pulled the P0016 code. It said P0016 Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A-Bank 1. Could anyone help me with this. It has happened a few times within the last year. I sthis effecting 2 seperate sensors? And also where are these located?

Thank You

Welcome to Jeepz. First on the diagnostic list is to verify for the following:
If MIL-on for P0016 or P0344 or Low Oil Pressure is indicated, the cam sensor drive assy gear teeth may be prematurely wearing out. Early indications will be cam sensor sync or a circuit problem. More advanced wear may disable the oil pump output and oil pressure will drop.Visually check on the side of the distributor housing and locate the tag. Affected dates are 4304 - 4358 for part #53010624AC. Inspect drive gear for wear. If worn gear teeth are found, pull oil pan and inspect for debris and change the oil. Prior to diagnosing the Cam and Crank sensor, this is more likely to be the cause for the concern that i've seen in 90% cause for the P-0016..

Thanks fot he quick response. I havent done much work on this yet because its my kids car and havent had any issues with it yet. If i'm undwerstanding this correctly either code P0016 or P0344 could be due to the drive gear wearing out. The only code i got was P0016. I will check the numbers on the distributor tonight. The distributor has to be removed to access the gears, correct? Can the gear be replaced or does this need a new distributor. Is there anything i should be concerned with when pulling the distributor. Is there a procedure on the forum for pulling the distributor? I've searched a bit but havent found anything as of yet.

Thanks Again
Neil

I was able to get the number off the oil drive gear, its 4246 REV-B. Would you lean towards just replacing the cam sensor. It hasn,t thrown a code in the last 3 days. I'm not sure if the code appears the second this is out of alignmnet or if has to be out of alignmnet for a few driving cycles.
Also, is there anything to replacing this? I saw there are 2 Torx screws and an electrical connector that has to come off. Is there any special alignment process in this or does it just bolt in?

Thanks
Neil

I was able to get the number off the oil drive gear, its 4246 REV-B. Would you lean towards just replacing the cam sensor. It hasn,t thrown a code in the last 3 days. I'm not sure if the code appears the second this is out of alignmnet or if has to be out of alignmnet for a few driving cycles.
Also, is there anything to replacing this? I saw there are 2 Torx screws and an electrical connector that has to come off. Is there any special alignment process in this or does it just bolt in?

Thanks
Neil

The cam sensor is simple enough to replace like you said. Just take note of it's orientation to the housing and you should be okay.. However, what's in question here is the drive gear and not the sensor. IF the drive gear is prematurely wearing out, this will erroneously or intermittently set the P0016 DTC. If i were you, i would check the distributor drive gear just to make sure and give yourself a peace of mind.

nuwbie here, just call me Givemud. I also have the same prob, My gear sheared off and had it flatbedded to the dealer and they said the camshaft needs to be replaced, however , i dont seem to understand why , they say the cam is between 7 and 14 degrees and it needs to be replaced. How is that possible when my jeeps proformance has not changed . is there a way i can fix this . They replaced the cam sensor and the gear. Baffaling my brain for sure, also it cuts out at about 3500rpm like a rev limiter . makes it hard to get out of a hole when your up to the doors in mud. I would greatly appreicate any info i can get .

Givemud

nuwbie here, just call me Givemud. I also have the same prob, My gear sheared off and had it flatbedded to the dealer and they said the camshaft needs to be replaced, however , i dont seem to understand why , they say the cam is between 7 and 14 degrees and it needs to be replaced. How is that possible when my jeeps proformance has not changed . is there a way i can fix this . They replaced the cam sensor and the gear. Baffaling my brain for sure, also it cuts out at about 3500rpm like a rev limiter . makes it hard to get out of a hole when your up to the doors in mud. I would greatly appreicate any info i can get .

Givemud

If your Jeep is a TJ, the camsensor can compensate for the gear wear up until it's thin enough to shear off and skip. Then the engine would just simply die. It's best that when the camshaft is replaced, replace the entire distributor with the gear. Before installing the distributor into the engine make sure to check the endplay gap between the gear and the housing. exessive play will cause a premature failure of the gears.

Back