looking for some opinions

indiemo

I was browsing on this site aev-conversions and I noticed something about the tires they use. They use 285-75R16 tires, which are essentially 33x11.50. I really like how they look on the TJs because with the backspacing, they stay between the fender flares, but was curious if you guys think you're sacrificing anything performance-wise by going with a narrower tire than the standard 33x12.50. [addsig]

i dunno... i've heard to arguments:

1. wider tires have a larger surface area to grip with

2. narrower tires have a better ability to dig down below the mud or snow and grip on the hard surfaces below...

11.5" is still pretty wide IMO...[addsig]

Indiemo,

Are you happy with the look of your 31 x 10.5 AT's? I like that Yellow TJ on aev conversions website you referenced. What brand of tires are those and how much do they cost?

[addsig]

My humble way of seeing this is wider looks better and is great if you are sailing along at a fast pace as you have more area to chushion the ride over rough terrain. I like to go slow as in real slow off road so a narrower tire is better suited to cut through the mudd and reach hard pack. I guess it is six of one side and a half dozen on the other! Tug[addsig]

I like the narrow pizza-cutter tire, I run 31x9.5 Swamper TSL Radials and will probably run 34x9.5 after the SOA lift. There is an argument that a narrower tire gives more pressure per square inch of contact patch, this may (MAY) give more traction in certain situations. Then there are situations where more flotation of a wider tire is needed. it's certainly an even trade-off, has a lot to do with personal preference and what type of terrain you wheel.[addsig]

Back