Breather Hose in Rear End...

Jeepin91

I just finnished my Dana 44 Rear end swap and I have yet to hook up my breather hose to it. I simply just put a tight fit rubber cap on the nipple. Is this alright to run this way for a little. I have taken it wheelin' and taken it under water. Is this needed?[addsig]

The main reason I extended the breather cap (extended breather tubes) on my diff´s was not to keep the water out. But the little breather caps became plugged with mud and evetually the air pressure, built from heat at highway speeds, would force oil out, the axle bearing seals. Just a little seep, but enough to make a mess in the brake drums and collect sand a crude, in the front axle housing ends. I cleaned the breather caps, installed extensions and the seep all but dried up. Saved me having to replace seals, I really didin´t need anyway. Had the same problem with an autotrans (not Jeep) the vent became plugged and that sucker was blowing oil out both ends. Extended breather lines, cured the problem.
Not really relavent to your problem, but the symptoms were the same. The front axle, seal, was seeping oil. After replacing the front axle U-joint, about 98% of the seep went away.[addsig]

My breather hose was plugged and I found that because of this, it would force the diff fluids out the filler hole plug on the diff and would also suck water in through there. I now have my diff breathers extended up into the airbox on my jeep and I have siliconed the filler caps down. It gets expensive having to change the diff fluids every other weekend.[addsig]

I GUESS IT DOES NOT REALLY MATTER NOW. ROLLED IT 3 TIMES OVER DOWN A HILL AND STOPPED ON A TREE.[addsig]

Back