Gas burps?

Caellach

2007 JK. If I try to fill the tank, and just let the pump go till it shuts itself down the gas "burps" back out of the tank... Oddest thing ever. Wondering what would fix this, and what the cost would be? I have no problem estimating how many gallons I can get until it's pretty close to full, but I like to be lazy and leave the math skills to the computer. Any suggestions?

On a JK model particularly the 07's , there is a service bulletin on replacing the fuel tank when it exibits that symptom. Check with your local dealer for the replacement and see if they would make some adjustments with the warranty on it.

My 97 does it to but it only does it if the nozzel is all the way in if I pull it out a couple inches it runs just fine

Even on my old '78 CJ5, if the pump jockey 'tops off' the tank I lose some either at that moment or later especially on a hot day when the fuel expands.

set the trigger for the slowest setting will help with gas back flowing and also keep the air in fuel down to a minimum
in return will also help improve your fuel mileage and help prevent vapor lock

ok, you got me on that one. how is pumping fuel on the lowest pump setting going to prevent vapor lock and get you better mileage?

i know if you have less bubbles in the fuel, you can fit more fuel in the tank but i don't see that actually improving you gas mileage. and vapor lock, how is pumping gas on the lowest setting going to stop that?

not trying to cause any trouble, just stumped on that part of the response

ok, you got me on that one. how is pumping fuel on the lowest pump setting going to prevent vapor lock and get you better mileage?

i know if you have less bubbles in the fuel, you can fit more fuel in the tank but i don't see that actually improving you gas mileage. and vapor lock, how is pumping gas on the lowest setting going to stop that?

not trying to cause any trouble, just stumped on that part of the response

Less air in fuel is more fuel in your tank , so more air causes fuel to expand = less fuel in tank, a flatter less air filled liquid fuel will less likely vapor lock and there s less air in fuel so you get more fuel, fuel with all them tiny bubbles expand causing less fuel in tank and more vapor gases causing vapor lock (think physics)may help understand what I'm trying to say (Example shake a bottle coke , what happens it expands , try same with a bottle of water it stays the same )

Last edited:
Back