Fuel sending unit

cornhusker66

The gas gauge quit working so I bought a new one from Quadratech, make that the sending unit-float assembly.

Anyway before I put the gas tank back in I hooked back up to fuel gauge. And what do you know, didnt register anything. I had a gallon of gas or so.

So I pulled sending unit out and hooked it back up. I took the arm and moved it through its range of motion and observed the gas gauge. The gauge did move, however with the float at its highest position the gauge only read half a tank. As I rotated the float the gauge bounced all over. I am assuming I need to order another sending unit? Or new gauge?

This is a new 15 gallon steel tank and sending unit from Quadratech.

Any thoughts? Thanks

If you ground the fuel sending gauge wire momentarily, the gauge should go all the way up to the max. or past the mark. This will tell you the gauge is good. I would say that the sending unit is bad out of the box. Also, make sure the fuel tank is grounded if there's no ground present on the fuel sending connector.

I had the same problem with my 80. I ordered a new tank and sending unit like you and still my gauge does not worked. I think mine is the gauge ground so I am going to try that as I get time.

Check all your grounds and return the sending unit and you should be good.

Back