97 TJ hiccup on starting, now idles waaaay fast

ChiefQM

I tried to start my 97 TJ yesterday and failed to hold the key over to start long enough. The engine coughed back through the intake; I started it a few moments later and it raced at 2K rpms. I disconnected the negative battery cable and left if off for a couple of minutes to see if the computer would reset, no joy. Next I took off the throttle body and cleaned the connections to the TPS and MAP, and I removed and cleaned the IAC. It idles somewhat lower now (18K). The check engine light isn't illuminated and haven't checked for codes. How can I test the TPS or MAP to see if one of them is the culprit, or is there some other source of the problem? Thanks!

A high idle is generally a vacuum leak, I'd double check the installation of the throttle body and all the sensors.

Throttle body and all sensor connections good and tight, what I found was a vacuum boot that has apparently popped off when the engine coughed back through the intake. A handy can of spray cleaner helped me find that. I put the boot back in place, reset the computer for good measure and it runs like new. Thanks, Bounty Hunter!

Back