Found one

willee51

:p 1998 TJ Sport, 6-cyl, auto, soft top! If I can get to the owner, before someone else does! OH! 77K-miles

Retiring (04/2012) after 43-yrs with a Defense Contractor (I glow in the dark, if that's a hint. What? Oh, yes, I have had cancer once already)!

Want a Wrangler to explore the back-roads and fire-roads of Virginia!

Any comments or info you want to offer on a "98" TJ? :roll:

Any jeep is a good find. The 98 4.0L is a strong motor. There was some issues with header cracks near the collectors. But must have been fixed by now. Most of the eviromental controls were vacuum, but some still had cables for some control.

You still have a disribitor cap and wires in 98, but timing was controled by the ECM.

Sent from my Android using Jeepz

Sounds like a good choice to me. I have a 1999 Wrangler, 4.0, & auto. Yes the exhaust manifolds do crack (all of them) but you can get a new replacement for as little as $70 shipped to your door off ebay. The change out is easy, a couple of hours or so the first time, less the next time so don’t be afraid. (I don’t find it necessary to remove the fuel rail as the book says; saves time) I like the older TJ’s as they do have the older ignition system with plug wires. 2000 & up they have the coil over plug set up. It may look better on paper but to me it is just more to go wrong on the road.

:x Well drove up an hour or so to meet the owner of the "98", and long-story short, I was not happy at all.

So, believe it or not the wife and I will go look at 2012 Wranglers, this weekend :D

gonna give a little nudge get the 4 door :shades:;)

bummer you guys made the drive and it was negative.

keep on looking though. i don;t know if i would move to a 2012 because the cost versus the actual value but a lot of people don;t mind signing a loan for 25k bucks and then as soon as they leave hte lot, the vehicle is only worth half that. i couldn't do it. i would hold out for a jeep that the value is what you are paying, you know.

but, i am weird about buying vehicles. i think your best choice was when you were looking at the older models.

I'm with Superj, there are plenty of late model TJs available for way less than a new one, and that in-line 6 is practically indestructable! Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of appeal to the new Wranglers, but that's a lot of money for a vehicle that's intended to be driven through brush!

It took awhile to find ours, but we got a clean 2004 with only 44K miles for right at $12K, half what they want for a new one!

Back