Ticking noise

MattMayTJ

1997 TJ manual 2.5 when ever I put it in reverse and start moving backward there is a very noticeable ticking noise only happens when moving in reverse anyone have any idea what this might be?

I dont think so if it were it would prob do it when I going forward don't you think? And the e brake is off when I move anyway

maybe its the self adjuster in the rear drums? you have rear drums? on normal self adjusting rear drum brakes, you reverse and they tighten up to what ever setting they need to be at.

have you looked under the jeep to see if anything is wrapped around your driveshaft?

Driveshaft looks good it may be brakes but sounds like it's coming from under jeep. Has been making noise since I got it so about a year do you think it could be the transfer case and if so how important would it be to get fixed?

Forgot to mention if I am in neutral and roll back there is no noise

i would check the u-joint like mentioned. its got to be something like that since it only does it in gear

Going out on a limb here but I'd check the transmission mount too. It could potentially be allowing the drivetrain to shift out of place enough to bind up the u-joints. Like I said, out on a limb, but easy enough to check if your not having any luck finding something else.

Sent from my Droid using Jeepz

Back