nerf bars

superj

i have always wanted a set of nerf bars but i never wanted to buy any because of how much stuff costs. i like the look of them and i like that they are actual steps because the kids and cristina used to complain about getting into my old cherokee and since we are starting to look at a small lift, i figured i had better take care of the step issue first.

a set showed up on craigslist for 50 bucks. only negative is they were chrome, oh well, cheap people can't be choosers.

i got them from the guy and it turns out he has an 87 black yj with hard top and hard doors with 1 ton axles underneath it. he has a stash of stuff and has some mt 5 hole 15x8 rims, blacked out, that he will let all 5 go for 100 bucks. i told him i would have to wait for another pay period on those kinds of things. anyways, i get the nerf bars and they look very easy to install. i undo two body mount bolts on each side and bolt the nerf bars on and am done, its that easy. the kids love them and i think they look great.

20111106_142041-1.jpg

i did some screwing around with my motorola cliq and lost access to a lot of things so i am waiting for my other pics to upload now :(

I say the chrome looks great against the black!

Hell yeah,you did exellent. The chrome dosent look bad. Been working on mine today,fabricateing them cause I'm in the same boat,gotta watch the dollars. got the material for free,but its still gonna cost me about 50 dollars for materials, Mainly for gas for my oxy acetylene.Havent got a welder,so I had to cut and grind the parts with a hand grinder,fit it all togeather, and spot braze it togeather so as I can just take the welder to it when I have access to one. takes a lot of work doing it that way with the grinder.but able to get it done. Putting my unemployed time to good use anyway.I'll post some pics when I get it done . you made a darn good score.

thanks, i think for the price, they look great.

i know the way you are doing it, i had to do it that way alot too. i bought a lincoln stick 220 welder, about 7 or 8 years ago and then someone offered to trade me a 110 mig welder with gas attachments for my lincoln so i figured it was worth it to trade so now i have a nice little mig that i have done lots of custom exhaust and brush guards with. but i way understand the way your doing it.

other pic finally loaded, here it is

20111106_144437_Corpus_Christi_Texas_US-1.jpg

Quick tip, Nerf bars, unless aluminum or stainless, they will rot from the inside out. My suggestion would be before you bolt them up, drill small holes in the end of the tubes and dump about a quart of used motor oil in the tube. stick a screw into the hole and get the oil all over the inside of the tube, then remove the screw and drain. the oil coating will keep the inside of the tube from rusting as quick.

Then again, your in texas so I am not sure how much rust is an issue for you southern-ers.

thats a good idea because these suckers were full of dirt when i grabbed them. i dumper out a couple of piles of dirt from each one

Heres my progress on the nerf bars,have one side tacked togeather,now to start the other side. Put long pads on the legs am undecided weather I want to weld or bolt them on. Maybe a little of both,just put the welds at easy access points in case I wish to take it off,for god knows what reason. But in the jeep world anything can happen. Before anyone nails me about it not looking to square on the jeep,that was the rough look picture.

Attachments

• nerf bars 008.JPG
    nerf bars 008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
  • nerf bars 005.JPG
    nerf bars 005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 724

For your info,that is an 80 degree angle from the back frame to the front,log it in store it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
those look fine, man. look like a yellow version of the ones i just got but yours mount better then mine do

Acquired the pipe with the yellow on it,was used in a warehouse as gaurd rails ,they'll be black when the day comes to install them. Got the pipe for free ,so it's just costing me time and oxy acetylene gas.

Back