need some help....

burton

Im restoring a 83' cj7 and its starting to come together. I got a custom fiberglass dash from jc whitney for $45 and im trying to figure a good sound system setup. I have 2 kenwood speakers for the dash right now and I want to get probably 4 more speakers,wedge 6x9's inbetween the wheelhouses and the rollbar and then 2 speakers all the way in the back. If anybody have any good ideas for a good sound system that isnt too much $$$ would be helpful thanks
[addsig]

My only suggestion for you is to weather proof the speakers!. By the time I thought about it, it was too late for mine. I had Jensen 2-way's (5") in the dash which sounded good, until they got rained on. Just didn't sound right after that. (this was 15yrs ago now) I always wanted to try something I read many yrs ago on how to protect the speakers but never installed another system. explained below. Basically, getting cloth of some sorts and spraying it with a water repelant of some kind and placing it over the front of the speaker then mount the speaker to the dash.
The water proofed material will keep water from the speakers. Try calling your local car stereo shop and see what they recommend for weather proofing speakers. They may even have something you can use.
Also, make sure that the windsheild cowl seal is sealed! (that's the foam rubber seal between the windsheild and the body. I can't recall where on the seal (upper, lower or both surfaces)to apply a bead of sealant to seal the foam to seal the body and windsheild. When I replaced my cowl seal (the foam rubber peice) in the mid 80's I didn't use any sealant (like silicone) on the cowl rubber. I thought the foam rubber would be enough, with the weight of the windsheild, the top I had at the time. Killed my stereo one stormy wet, rainy night! Water came right through the seal, because it wasn't sealed properly. I had no one to tell me this then. Figure your "Caulking up the window" Same principal. If you just install the windsheild cowl seal with no sealant, eventually it'll leak. Mine, just happened to leak right over my stereo, and the stereo wasn't happy about it!
Now, 20yrs later, I have no stereo. No speakers. Just communication equipment. (CB and HAM )
Good luck with the restore!
[addsig]

Back