AX5-AX15 transmission-differance

Gennybro

How can you tell the differance between the two? I'm thinking that I had read somewhere that the ax5 had an aluminum body,as the ax15 has an iron body. 5 spd manuel.

The ax-15 has an aluminum body as well...the ax-5 was used behind the 4cly and the ax-15 was put behind the 4.0 6cly until 99 or 2000ish (please don't quote me) then jeep used the nv3550 behind the 6 until they went to the 6spds.

Have been considering purchaseing an 85 cherokee with a 2.8 liter engine, 5 spd. Has 175000 on it,body and interior is decent,for 650 dollars. Was hopeing that it would have the ax 15 transmission in it ,but what research I have done it looks like it came with the ax5 in it. Just wanted to be sure. I think it also came with the borg warner t-5,is that transmission any better then an ax5?

it probably has the ba10, a junk peugot trans. you could get that cool guy jeep and upgrade the motor to a chevy 3.4 and have a badass little truck.

I may be wrong, but I think the ax5 came out in 87. If it's a cast iron case it will probably be a t5. If it's aluminum and splits down the middle length wise, it's a b/a 5/10.

Back