Jeep yj engine and transmission swap from a tj

brownjeep3

Hey I have a 93 tj, the engine and the transmission are both blown and in need of repair. The body and frame are both in pretty good shape and I have no dreams of getting rid of the jeep! The only other thing it needs is a new top, and no jeep really needs a top... I am stuck now with, do I rebuild whats in there, which is a weak 4 banger and the ax-5 or... Is it at all possible, if it is, how hard is it, to swap out a motor and transmission from a tj? Obviously I understand they run on completely different computers and whatnot, but didn't know if this was feasible or not!? ANY input on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for reading

Hey I have a 93 tj, the engine and the transmission are both blown and in need of repair. The body and frame are both in pretty good shape and I have no dreams of getting rid of the jeep! The only other thing it needs is a new top, and no jeep really needs a top... I am stuck now with, do I rebuild whats in there, which is a weak 4 banger and the ax-5 or... Is it at all possible, if it is, how hard is it, to swap out a motor and transmission from a tj? Obviously I understand they run on completely different computers and whatnot, but didn't know if this was feasible or not!? ANY input on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for reading

It truly depends on what you want from your Jeep. How soon do you want it up and running? FUNDS! and so on. If you were going to stay with a 4 cyl. I would look for a yj motor because they should be cheaper than a TJ motor due to their age and it being the old technology. Now if your not in a hurry to get your Jeep going you can drop a small block between the frame rails since you have to replace both the motor and trans. Hope this helps you.

It would be way cheaper and easier to get a YJ engine and trans. Your 4 cyl yj came from the factory with 4.10 gears, so if you get a 6cyl those gears would go nice with it.

if you swapping anything else other than what teh jeep originally came with, your money will be best spent going to a V8 or at a minimum 4.3 v6.

If I was in your position, I would definately go with a small block chevy and auto transmission. 350 and 350. For the cost of rebuilding or buying rebuilt you could upgrade and be much happier.

If I had a YJ, I'd swap the 360/T18A/NP208 from my '82 Honcho (it's becoming a daily driver so it's going 290/304 and AX-15 for fuel economy)

if you swapping anything else other than what teh jeep originally came with, your money will be best spent going to a V8 or at a minimum 4.3 v6.

I have to agree with jps4jeeps. If you want to swap out the 2.5 for a 4.0 the amount of work and expense doesn’t pencil out as you need to change the computer, wiring, motor mounts, radiator, etc., etc…. You would be better off to sell the jeep with the 2.5 and buy one with the 4.0. (Pain is just not worth the gain)

Back