Best paint for flares

nutznky

The flares on my TJ are in need of a fresh coat of paint. I would normally never paint them but the previous owner already did and obviously used crappy paint as it is starting to flake off. There in good shape so I figured I would strip the rest of it off and start fresh. Just wondering what paint would work best till I replace them. I've heard the krylon fusion is really good on plastic.

I have painted my flares in the past to and it just flaked off over time. I dont. really know of a good flare paint. My current jeep don't have flares but, I was going to try bumper paint I have seen at our local autostores the next time I needed to paint flares.

I'd say the bumper paint or one of the spray on bed liners
I used rustoleum on mine and in a years tine they were chipping and pealing, but alot of people use Krylon fusion

I never had luck with paint on plastic parts
but I have heard powder coating works how good I have no idea since I never done it myself

I'm not a painter, my uncle is though and I remember him telling me about this stuff called bully dog adhesion promoter that he uses on plastic parts when he paints. Said it works good

Isn't the powder coat a heated process? I may be wrong but I think I recall someone telling me you can't powder coat plastic because of the heat involved. I think I'll just go with the fusion till I replace them. I've been kinda hinting around about new ones with fathers day coming up. Maybe I'll get lucky,lol.

How far from Cincinnati are you?? or the covinton, newport area.

dupicolor bumper paint, has worked for 4 years so far. i did the yj now the xj.
100_3188-1.jpg

Isn't the powder coat a heated process? I may be wrong but I think I recall someone telling me you can't powder coat plastic because of the heat involved. I think I'll just go with the fusion till I replace them. I've been kinda hinting around about new ones with fathers day coming up. Maybe I'll get lucky,lol.

DO NOT attempt powder coat....it require that the parts go into a heat oven for a set amount of time. You might not like the looks of the flares. They can very esyly toun from flares to flames......

I live about 2 1/2 hours from Cincy down near Ashland, Ky. If the guy before me hadn't already painted them I could have brought the color back out with a butane torch. Don't know if any of you have tried this but it really works well if you watch what your doing and don't overheat them. It works for about a year and then you have to do them again but it's simple to do and they look like new again. I got some fusion today and hopefully by tomorrow evening I'll have time to take em off and try it out.

My fender flares were badly faded when I got my Jeep, so I went to Home Depot and got this stuff called PlastiDip. It's a spray that dries as a rubberized coating and goes on pretty evenly, I didn't even take them off, just taped off my body panels. It's about $7 a can and goes pretty far. If you don't like the way it looks or it gets damaged, you can just peel it off. It's pretty good stuff.

2nd the Plastidip, its pretty sweet. Alcohol/clean and spray on. No sanding neeeded. Downside its a flat and slightly rougher look, not glossy and super smoothe. But, as mentioned you can peal it off easily. Do a search on Youtube and see.. lots of people doing wheels, emblems etc.

Thanks for the tip on the Plasti-dip guys! Started doing my wheels this weekend. Working good so far. Thinking about a couple of other parts I could do too. Sorry, my flares are fine, so I won't be trying that, but I'm impressed so far.

Back