Dies when idling, coming to a stop or coasting

My father and I are having the hardest time trying to figure out whats going on. I drive a 94 jeep wragler. Ill start from the beginning. I went in for a smog check, it passed with flying colors. But no more than 5 min leaving the smog station, it died when I was coming to a stop at a stop sign. So I put it in park wait a sec and then tried starting it, it fired right up so i decided to pull in to a parking spot and when I was breaking again it died. Started up this time not right away but it did. Drove about 10 miles home it did fine on the highway and was ok. When i got home my dad looked it over since there was nothing the guy who did the smog could have done to cause it to die. So my dad checked everything from spark plugs, fuel pump. tuned this and replaced that. It then worked fine for about a week like nothing had happened and then one day leaving work it would do this wierd jolting thing, well it felt like a jolt. As i put my foot on the gas and tried to bring it above 20mph it seemed as if it was jolting, did the jolt about 3 times and was fine. Pulled it to a stop in a parking spot, it dies. Went straight home, and it wouldnt do a thing for my dad. It did that one more time now it seems to only get about a half mile from our house and will die when ever you break or coast down a hill. My dad is thinking it may be electrical, if you have any ideas please help! Its driving us insane.:???:

Did you eventually figure out what this is? It sounds electrical to me too.

May be a vac leak, or idle set to low. just throwing out ideas. Only does it when you coast or brake? If so then could be a leak or low idle.

I had an issue similar to yours on my 01 Grand. It was a faulty TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ). As soon as I would let off the gas the engine would die..they are easy to replace

Back