Driving with your windshield folded down

flatie46

A fellow Jeeper was telling me that it was illegal to drive in TN. with your windshield folded down. I couldn't believe it and am still not sure if I do. I mean I can ride my Harley without a windshield as long as I have eye protection. The Jeep still has a windshield, it's just folded fwrd. What's the laws in other states? This sucks!

OH requires vehicles to have windshields in place on legal roads. I believe that you are not required to have a windshield on motorcycles or other vehicles not designed with windshields

I don't know, but when my jeep was registered, I used to fold down the windshield all the time, always with sometype of eye protection (sunglasses.) I got pulled over once and when the LEO questioned what I was doing, I asked him to explain the difference between my windshield being folded down and me wearing eyeprotection and me riding a motorcycle with the windshield removed or simply not equiped. The LEO agreed and let me on my merry way.

That said, I got pulled over two weeks ago by a LEO from Salem Ma for not having factory installed exhaust pipes on my motorcycle (what the warning stated). I told him that there is no DOT requirement for exhaust pipes being factory, only under a certain dB (which mine are clearly under). He informed me that people were complaining of excessive noise and that this was a new "law" that they were enfocing that all exhaust systems need to be factory original. I simply asked for the MA-GL number for this law so I could research it... LEO said one of the complaintants was the police chief. Long story short they were enforcing a law that didn't exhists. be weary of such "laws"

have driven with mine down. i am not sure if it was legal though. i probably checked but have since forgotten

Jeeps4jeep, I agree with keeping an eye on "laws", if you don't your freedom will get compromised. Hate to hear they're getting tough on motorcycle exaust where your at. I've always felt bikes should be heard since they're too often over looked. I guess I'd be screwed, I didn't get the factory exaust with mine when I bought it. Maybe our state reps need kicked to the curb.

I am in Ohio as trailrated is, and I have driven lots of times when I was younger with my windsheild down and never got pulled over. I even drove by a few cops and they never bothered me. That was years ago though and seems trailrated has looked into it. I really didnt enjoy driving with it down anyway but think you should be able to if you want.

thats true. while the idea is novel to speak about it, to actually do it is not so much. a few bugs to the cheeks and you will be ready to put it back up

I looked it up. Ohio revised code 4513.24:
A - No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equiped with a windshield.
Furthermore, in the same code 4513.24:
C - The windshield on every motor vehicle, streetcar, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be maintained in good working order and so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the operator of the vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley

Section A says it has to be equipped. It didn't say it has to be up... lol.

That's what I'm saying, it'll be there for me if I want to use it. I've got to put my new windshield frame in before I attemp it. I'm afraid If I fold it forward the glass will fall out where it's so rusty. I'd like to fold it down for trail riding. I just feel like I should have the choice to drive it on the hwy like that since it came equipped to do so. Might like it, I enjoy my bike that way. I tried to google it for the Tn. law, didn't have much luck. I guess I'll have to break down and call the D.O.T. I don't think they have there chit together either though.

Back