78 cj5 hard to start.

ranman64

1978 cj5 258 V6 is almost impossible to start after it reaches normal operating temp and you shut it off. Any ideas? Plenty of fuel getting to carb. Thanks in advance!!

It's a strait six or inline six not a V6. Now if it were me I'd think the coil may be breaking down. I'd get it hot and check the fire when it quits. Also could be an intake leak.

kinda had a similar problem on a cj7 v8. turned out a wire on the distributor was getting too hot from the motor and that interrupted everything.

1978 cj5 258 V6 is almost impossible to start after it reaches normal operating temp and you shut it off. Any ideas? Plenty of fuel getting to carb. Thanks in advance!!

Does it just quit immediately or does it putter and quit?

Yes Flatie46, it is a straight 6. Frustration error.

I have a time up planned when I get home from vacation next week, including a new coil and wires.

SweetPeet, it doesn't die it's when I shut it off.

Thanks for the info.

x2 on the coil. I had the same problem this winter and it was the coil, bad wires. As 82cj7 has said, check the dist wire also and any wire pertaining to your coil and dist. i have points ignition and a bad ballist resistor fried my coil, the wires were just old and needed replaced.

Back