Help Needed with 2008 Jeep Wrangler Lifted Suspension/Steering Issue

I'd want to know more before I assumed that it wasn't a problem.

Are you saying that the oil change light is on (not sure that JKs have this), or that the oil pressure light is on?

How's your oil level?

Last edited:
I know it's some type of oil indicator, a little genie type lamp on the right side of the gauge cluster...

That thing should have no less than an oil pressure gauge . What does the gauge read ? I would never rely on an idiot light .
So , ... The thing is tracking good now ?
You should have like a minimum of 40 lbs oil pressure at idle when cold and around 20 lbs at idle after a good little drive when at normal operating temp .

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2008 used Sahara 2 door, which has a 3 to 4 inch lift on it (not sure what brand), wasn't able to find out what type it is one the numbers underneath it). 17" rims and 35" tires. I took it for a test drive at the dealer and it drove fine. I had it flat bedded to my house. and I began having some issues with it drifting a little bit to the right while driving it(the wind making it worse). I went to Off Road Warehouse and they installed a set of new caster stops and did a front end alignment, also had a new (upgraded) steering box installed, both were about $600 to have installed. Now when I drive it, I have an issue where it doesn't seem to drive straight. I always have to do slight micro-corrections to get it to go in a straight-line. I've talked to my mechanic, who installed the new steering box(which is a friend of the family and has a shop in this area) and he says he'll recheck it, but he thinks it might be as good as it gets. I have a hard time believing this as I had a 2004 Jeep Sahara, which was also lifted, but did not have this issue and also, it didn't do this before I had it flat bedded home.

Are there any suggestions out there what else I might check for?

Thank you very much in advance!

Larry

First w need to define what you call drift. Is it constant in one direction or is it all over? Drift is one direction and wander is both. Drift is typically the result of bad tires (worn unevenly, slipped belts and so on), a bad front end alignment, often as a result of a poor lift. Wander can be caused by all of the above in addition to bad rod ends (often caused by a bad lift too), bad ball joints, as well as bad shocks. Now I dont know your mechanic, and am not out to insult (am I the only one who has issues with lost keystrokes ONLY on this site?) anyone but I've been spinning a wrench for well over 40 years, and in specific Jeeps of all models since 1976 (38 years), and I have to say, find a different mechanic... Even a simple steering stabilizer change can HELP this issue short term. BUT as good as it gets is an unacceptable reply. Even putting it back to Stock to correct the problem is a better answer, However, I would look for a reputable inch lift ad replace the lift you have. I have four Jeeps, 3 ZJs 2 98s and a 95 and an 06 TJ, all with different lift heights, every one tracks perfectly straight. There is ZERO reason to accept ANY drift or wader. Especially since it can become a control issue on ice, in snow or on wet pavement. and will more than likely get worse. BEAR IN MIND. this is based on decades of HANDS ON experience, not "I once read" expertise... I AM HEAVILY OPINIONATED because of massive hands on experience. I have literally seen things done by so called experts that had me going WTF? that were a simple matter of the so called expert not knowing or understanding the engineering of what they were working on. NO mechanic knows every lift and they can not claim to. The BEST mechanic will SAY "I DONT KNOW" and then look for more information.

Take him up on the offer. When you pay for an alignment the values validate they are in spec or not. It should be given to you prior your payment.The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read) - JeepForum.com
Great advice! I also had an '08 Wrangler Unlimited that had a "wandering" problem and after checking the alignment was correct and all the stock parts were in decent shape, I installed an after-market steering stabilizer and that fixed the problem. Not saying this will correct your problem with certainty, just something else to keep in mind. The stock stabilizer just couldn't handle the larger tires after 60,000 miles and the after-market heavy duty stabilizer could. I also replaced my stock shocks and that improved my ride significantly. I bought that Jeep with the lift already on it and it was a budget 2 1/2" lift. Lesson learned. When I bought my '13 Sport brand-new, I spent serious money on a quality lift that included Bilstein shocks and both the lift & shocks are outstanding.

Attachments

• Sundance Garaged.jpg
    Sundance Garaged.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Great advice! I also had an '08 Wrangler Unlimited that had a "wandering" problem and after checking the alignment was correct and all the stock parts were in decent shape, I installed an after-market steering stabilizer and that fixed the problem. Not saying this will correct your problem with certainty, just something else to keep in mind. The stock stabilizer just couldn't handle the larger tires after 60,000 miles and the after-market heavy duty stabilizer could. I also replaced my stock shocks and that improved my ride significantly. I bought that Jeep with the lift already on it and it was a budget 2 1/2" lift. Lesson learned. When I bought my '13 Sport brand-new, I spent serious money on a quality lift that included Bilstein shocks and both the lift & shocks are outstanding.

A proper sized stabilizer is a must, But here is a bit of advice on them. Find an decent flat and smooth blacktop or concrete parking lot and disconnect the stabilizer and test the vehicle out. Without the bumps, crown in the road, tar in the joints between slabs and other items that cause extraneous wander, you will be able to tell if the stabilizer is hiding problems or doing its job as it should. Many people claim you don't need them. They are wrong. The stabilizer can make a difference between being fatigued from driving which is actually dangerous, and enjoying the drive. But it can also hide problems if it is used to correct an issue rather than do the job it is intended to do which is prevent those sudden minor jolts from changing the directions your wheels are pointing. And as you noted, Bad shocks have the same effect as weak or undersized stabilizers, so when changing tire sizes, BOTH shocks and stabilizers need to be re-evaluated, something that is often neglected.

Back