Dirty brakes

Shane

Ok after getting stuck in some mud, my jeep now swerves uncomfortably hard to the right during braking, especially hard braking. Could this be as simple as dirt in the drums? and how deadly could this be to my brakes? anyway, how much would an enitre new rear end cost (well no NEW) but y`all know what i mean. I've got 600 and would i be better off waiting untill i can replace my entire rear end, and front, with stronger axels and diffs or to ahve my brakes redone? Thanks-Shane

edited by: Shane, Apr 25, 2003 - 05:19 PM[addsig]

My '95 YJ does the same thing every time I get in the mud. Your left front brake caliper piston is frozen, due to all the mud/water. It's as simple as:
  • Remove the caliper
  • Remove the brake pads
  • Hose down the piston with WD40
  • Push the piston in with a large c-clamp
  • Reassemble
You don't need to replace the caliper, but it will likely do it again next time you are in the mud unless you do.

When mine freezes up like that, I can smell the brakes coming back from wheeling. When I stop, I can feel that the wheel with the frozen caliper is super hot, so don't drive like this. This is when it's frozen in the braking position.[addsig]

Thanks bud, sorry for asking these little pesky questions, but you'll be hearing about everything that goes on in my jeep ;-) Thanks again for you'r help[addsig]

Not pesky at all, you would have gone through a lot of trouble to find the problem had you not asked :-D [addsig]

i can get a new front and rear axle for about $225 that's a ford 9" rear and matching front.... i am not sure how much they are anywhere else... but it's not practical if you are just trying to replace brakes[addsig]

haven't looked into that yet.. 3.73, 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 are pretty much standard[addsig]

shane,

that's why this site rocks - someone will always know.

one last thing, if you're getting sufficient mud/debris, whatever, in your calipers sufficiently to necessitate removal just to clean them, you may want to take a closer look at your seals. if the seals are functional, that shouldn't happen.

in theory at least.

blue.
[addsig]

can i replace just the seals? Because i was going to buy new diffs anyway, but now think the entire axel upgrade should work just fine, its not nearly that expensive. I jump the little bugger, and th elast thing i need is a broken axel ;-)

PS-The brake thing is just a little excuse to buy the axel :lol:[addsig]

yup... i did an axle seal job on a 4runner last year... he was leaking bad before... now he's all good[addsig]

Seals? In brake calipers?

edited by: Bounty__Hunter, Apr 27, 2003 - 08:24 AM[addsig]

well its the front drum that is giving me the most trouble, there are seals on drum brakes right? Anyway-what gears would best fit 34's? Well i guess i should kinda start over. I bought the jeep with a stock off-road package from a neighbor down the street, he said he outfitted it with the 32's, and that the four wheel shop that did it gave him the gears for the 32's. What might that be? I'm almost posotive that they are not 4.11, or maybe he's just BSing me (leaving with the stock 3.07?) Anyway-if i got with new axels, will i be able to find Ford 9" front and rear with the 4.11? And do the ford axels come with disc brakes on them? If i've got something wrong, please dont hesitate to correct me ;-) Thanks again!![addsig]

there are seals in the wheel cylinder... but you are better off replacing the cylinder.. and yes, you can get a 9" with at least similar ratios... not sure of exact, but something to run any tire you could put on there[addsig]

Back