Just bought my first Jeep! Need some help figuring out what I have...

Yakub

So after lusting after Jeeps forever I finally took the plunge...straight into the deep end. I bought a Jeep that has a ton of aftermarket stuff on it and I have no clue what most of it is.

Here's a link to pics: My New Jeep - Imgur

Can you help identify what I have, tell me how to use it, and help point me in the right direction to learn more?

Also, my Jeep seems to shift very hard and pulls to the left a little bit every time I shift. It's making me a little nervous..

Thanks!

Like you, I have no idea what many of those things are either but obviously the PO spent a ton of $$$ on it. Without knowing the PO or at least talking to them, I'd have been leery of buying it with all those mods. Good luck with it.

Looks like you picked up a nice vehicle build for off road. If all that is installed correctly its a nice ride. Do you really not know what the components are or are you setting up for some drooling? Do you have and wondering, shaking or rattling? The only questionable items are the spacer (doesn't appear to be installed) and the grill inserts with the winch combined. The inserts may lead to overheating on the highway due to restricted air flow.

The roll cage is manufactured by Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - 844-ROCK-HARD. Don't know why the PO put a Detroit sticker on it, that's a type of differential and yours appear to be ARB air lockers (1 compressor switch, 2 differential switches).

The mystery switch might be either power to the winch or an in/out control for the winch. The cord is the control cord for the Warn winch. Good brand of winch.

The mystery box is in fact a stereo amplifier, maybe attached to a speaker box.

Warn brand bumpers and rocker skids.

The silver canisters are remote fluid reservoirs for the shocks.

Front axle appears to be the stock Dana 30, rear is a swapped in Ford 9" axle. Suspension has been upgraded to a long-arm style, control arms from the frame to axles are about twice as long as stock. It's a good thing if done properly.

Airaid is the red thing below the throttle body. From the air filter on the engine, follow the air tube to the engine and you'll find the throttle body with the red Airaid spacer below it.

Be very careful if you plan on taking that Jeep offroad, it's pretty well built and will get the inexperienced offroad driver in over their head real quick. Look for some Jeep clubs to check out, meet fellow jeepers, start offroading on mild trails. Do not use the air locking differentials until you get some experience under your belt. The improve the Jeep's capability to the point you'll get stuck real good if inexperienced.

Back