Problems with 89 YJ stalling

taoistdave

Hey Jeep Heads,

I am a newbie to Jeep Wrangler ownership. That said, I was wondering if you dudes could help me out with some advice. I was recently off roading in the Mojave Desert, and my jeep started stalling out. It would sputter, and then come to a complete halt. If I stopped for about 5 mins., and started it up, my YJ would come back to life. I had her towed to a garage in Barstow, and the mech did a pressure check on the fuel system and drove it, but of course the condition didn't repeat itself. I took matters in to my own hands and replaced the fuel filter, and made the 3 hour drive home. My YJ made it and she ran fine for a few weeks, but the condition repeated itself, but on a smaller scale. The YJ is in the drive and ready to be fixed. Any advice? Thanks for your time.

taoistdave

When this happens is there and CEL lights that come on? If it does you could check the code via. Coax reader at oriellys or AZ... For free. Post up the codes and we could go from there.

No codes could be a battery connection or the crank sensor.

Can those stores pull the codes from an OBD I system?

Try a $40 rebuild kit for the throttle body, couldn't hurt if it's never been done.

The sputtering to a stop is like running out of gas or it just shuts off?

When the mechanic did the pressure test did he check at idle and WOT?

So two possibilities. Fuel pump that could be checked at idle (31 lb) and at an elevated rpm it should remain constant from 1000 thru 4000 rpm. app 38

Second I'd the TPS ( throttle position sensor). When they are failing dead spots develop. For example if you steadily keep depressing the throttle you may note a spot where the Rams do not change despite the peddle being depressed farther and farther. Then it might all of a sudden catch up. If this happened while driving under load like pulling a hill you may stall from it leaning out.

Last edited:
My 89 yj did same thing. It progressively got worse (more frequently ). Before I figured it out, it would do it several times in under a mile. Replaced the ignition module, and it never did it again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back