rear drive shaft

mandarrin

i goy a 2.5l 89 wrangler,was wondering if i can put a rear drive shaft from a six cilynder jeep or does it have to be from a 4 banger.thanks[addsig]

I just replaced mine. I also have the 2.5, and I got one from a 2.5. You just have to make sure your gears are the same in the front and back. But if you got one from a 6cyl, I don't think it makes a difference. But sombody please tell me if I am wrong.[addsig]

Okay, you're wrong :-O You asked for it ;-)

The 6cyl. rear driveshaft is shorter than the 2.5L driveshaft, the 6cyl. drivetrain is longer. wride, what you mean gears? :-? [addsig]

yeah... the gears would have nothing to do with the driveshaft.... BUT... off topic of driveshafts... your gears do have to the the same if you want to use 4wd[addsig]

say..if the 2.5 's driveshaft is slightly longer than an I-6 i wonder if it would work in my rig ( 6cly + lots of lift) to fill in the slip yoke....has anyone tried this?[addsig]

That's crossed my mind, it may work. I think the 4banger rear shaft is slightly over 1" longer than the 6cyl. shaft. There may also be differences between autos and manuals, so check carefully.[addsig]

remember though.. if you have a lift.. the angle of the virtual connection between yokes is more critical... a longer shaft WILL help with the slipyoke, so it doesn't fall out... but will not do much for your Ujoints... it will do a little, becaue the yoke can go in further, but not way too much[addsig]

My jeeps rear drive line is shorter that your's! "Ne-ner ne-ner ne-ner" 13 3/8"long!

Now, before y'all go off, I realize that braggin about a short shaft ain't a proud thing to
do, :lol:
Gota tell ya though, that tiny driveline ain't gonna break any time soon! Built stout as hell!
Anyhow, measure the drivelines, from center of yoke to center of yoke and compare. If the 6 driveline is close to the 4 banger, you might be able to use it. [addsig]

Back