Total Newbie Questions...

LouKYGuy

Please bear with me here... remember, the only stupid questions are the ones unasked (or something like that).

I recently purchased an '01 Wrangler Sport, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear (with limited slip), 3.07 gears, and 15x7 Grizzly wheels w/ 225/75R15s Goodyears.

This is my only vehicle and therefore a daily driver. As my bank account permits, I'd like to start making a few mods so I can get out on the trails with the rest of you guys/gals.

I know I can fit 31's on the stock wheels and w/o a lift (I have a 1.5 yrs. left on the warranty and I'd like to keep it, so no lift kits yet) and 33" tires look damn expensive... so I'm sticking with 31's.

First questions is the axle gears... will the 3.07's be okay with 31" tires? I'd like to keep it as streetable as possible (gas mileage) but I realize the benefits of taller (?) gears. What would be a good middle-of-the-road set of gears?

Next is lockers. It's open in the front and limited slip in the rear. Would I be better off with a different differential (say that 3 times fast!) in the rear or stick with the factory unit? What about the front... I've heard that locking diffs in the front can make it hard to steer or it makes funky noises while turning... what's the deal there?

Thanks for any help.
[addsig]

Depending on your cash flow, I would leave most of your hard parts as they are. I was given the advice to run with what you have until you learn what you really need. I have an 83 CJ7 with 33's and 3in lift - really not enough if flexed hard. The TJ's as I am told are very capable in stock form. I would recommend some body armor for protection and some sway bar disconnects so you can let the suspension move while offroad but still have its street manners. Just check any 4by magazine or website for reviews and examples of items which will only improve your current setup. Don't forget safety and recovery tools.
[addsig]

The advice previously given is good. The one thing I'll add is this regarding lockers: most real lockers involve replacing the carrier in the diff. Differentials have usually two different sized carriers depending upon the gear ratio. The place where they change is called the "carrier break" (not to be confused with the Navy term, involving aircraft turning at high speed
image-missing.png
). In your case, the carrier break for your front axle, the D 30, is (I believe) at 3.73. Thus, if you ever plan to go to 3.73 or above (which I would, esp. if you are going to go to 33's eventually), you should go ahead and get the gears before you buy the full locker. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a different locker when you go up in gears. I don't remember where the break for a D 44 is, but I think it's in the 4 range. Someone else will know, I'm sure.

Regarding lockers in general--the limited slip in the rear is far better than nothing, but isn't a real locker. I'd upgrade to a real locker in the rear when you get the $$$. A Detroit or the equivilent will be fine--driving with a locked rear on pavement isn't that big a deal. In the front, you'll do okay with a limited slip, or you can go to a full locker. I'd recommend a selectable locker, such as the OX or ARB. However, both are quite pricy.

I would not recommend a full-time front locker. The problem with one is that it does, in fact, make it difficult to steer (in fact, down right dangerous in many situations). Some people will tell you that you can get by with a full time front locker if you upgrade to manual hubs. I disagree, but you'll find folks on both sides of that issue. Probably the cheapest alternative for now is a limited slip in the front.

What I would do--map out a plan of where you want your jeep to be when you're finished building it. For instance, decide how big tires you ultimately want, and build gears towards that. Make sure you don't buy a really expensive locker until you have the gears you're going to stay with. For now, you have an LSD in the rear. For a few hundred bucks, you can get a LSD in the front and install it yourself (don't try to install a full locker that requires changing out the carrier by yourself). When your back LSD wears out, upgrade to a full locker. You may need to go up in gears at this point. I don't know whether your front LSD will still work at this point, but at least you'll have more traction from the full locker in the rear and more control from better gears. Your last upgrade can be the front locker.

Good luck.
[addsig]

Back