to break a tj

OiiiiiO

hi.

I just picked up a 2001 TJ 5spd 4.0L D30/D44 3.73. I've been offroad a little bit but am wondering what the weakpoints are in this rig?

What will and wont the stock axles, bearings, t-case, trans, etc take before failing?

thanks for any input. [addsig]

make sure you get some soft-metal-safe gear oil in there first of all... the axles are not the strongest, but if you keep it to mild/moderate offroading, you should be just fine[addsig]

Welcome! It is a Jeep and if you use as a Jeep you are going to break parts from time to time. I do not see your haven to many problems as long as you think as you drive. It is the most capible out of the box fun to own fun to drive off road rides in the world. If it is rough go slower and enjoy the ride. Lock in when you need to, and be safe then you have otheing to worry about. great to have you aboard. Only one other thing visit and be a part often. tug[addsig]

If you got the Dana 44 rear end, then you are doing well. What size tires you got? If it's near stock, then probably the Wrangler GS-A factory tires. With those, you can only wheel so hard and so far that you shouldn't be in danger of breaking stuff. You've got a solid starting rig. What it can handle depends on how agressive you are, and on what terrain (ie, rocks, mud, hills). I would stay away from rocks if you have stock tires and no lift. Mud and hills are good, although your tires would guage your ability to get out of mud, obviously. Just don't go off-road solo. Make sure there is another vehicle with you and you'll be alright. Remember, it's a Jeep, it's meant to go offroad.

C[addsig]

You probably won't have to worry about much breaking now, until you change out your wheels & tires for larger ones. (placing greater stress on things) Of course, how you drive and tackle off-road obstaclkes will have a direct corelation on how often and when you break things too! Getting into situtations off-road that start your jeep to bouncing & bucking, can snap axles, and drive lines. (don't laugh, jeeps can buck and bounce and not go anywhere it'll happen sooner or later)
Enjoy your new toy! :-D
[addsig]

Heh....who says you can't go anywhere with a stocker LOL .

I've beat my stocker, a 99 TJ (I don't think anyone here will dissagree with me lol), and never had any major problems.
You DO have to watch the stock front sway bar linkage, but if they brak, just do the cheap upgrade to the quick disco's. Better for off road anyway.

Rob :p :cool: :)

edited by: PASmokeater, Jun 05, 2003 - 12:13 PM[addsig]

Back