Sway bar disconnects

flyboy

I've heard of these but not sure what they do or the purpose. I feel kinda stupid asking but that is what this page is for, right? (stupid questions)[addsig]

They allow you front axels to move up and down with out as much restriction on the trail. I hope that helps.[addsig]

They let you have more travle in your
suspension, let's say your front for instance
the right and left will act independent when they
are disconected.....but when they are conected they
work as the same...... :-D [addsig]

I am asking because I noticed that my sway bar has been disconnected. Does this create any problems? Are you supposed to connect it when not on the trail?[addsig]

yup yup if you are running on the road you need the sway batrs for safty sake. Tug[addsig]

Becareful running disco'd on the road. If you have to make a sudden emergent turn or lane change you may not make it. If you do make it, it still wont be pretty that's for sure.

On trails being disco'd will increase your rigs capability. This is especially true if you dont have lockers. When discod' you have a better chance of keeping your tires on the ground. As you probably know, open differentials are useless when one of the tires is off the ground (as are most LSDs). So keeping the wheels on the ground means keeping you moving.

Discos also make it easier to drink your coffee on washboard dirt roads and easier trails. =D
[addsig]

Yes you might want to connect them
on the road for your safety it will control
your body roll and make it a lot safer.......... :-D [addsig]

thanks guys,
i knew this was the right place to go. :) [addsig]

the disco's really make a difference on the tj's because of the coils. they are so soft that the body almost lays on it's side in turns. i've had my sway bar's disconnected for about 3 weeks since we last went wheeling, but my yj is a little more stable because of the leaves. the disco's area a definite must.. just make sure you reconnect before hittin the road ;)
[addsig]

Road driven with out them is like driven a bucket full of water. Real wishy washy in the turns. Enouhg to scare me. However it is so easy to un hook and re hook no problem! tug[addsig]

In regards to disconnects, when connect and disconnect your connects :-D , do you have to get them lined up with a jack? or do they just fall into place and you slide in a cotter pin or somthing? Thanks!

M_J[addsig]

Mine are a quick disconect and as long as the jeep is level across the front end the connect is ez and quick too on the level. If the ground should be a little off you can either hook up the ez side and then jack the other or move the jeep slowly to oppsit sides of the incline for an ez hook up. Have had mine un hooked several time inth past weeks and have had no trouble re hooking at all. tug[addsig]

No all you have to do is be on level ground and
you are good to go.... :-D [addsig]

Hey all, i just bought me a '63 cj-5 , my first jeep, and my second vehical as i am 16. Im doing a full restoration on it and want to make it an offroading machine . . hehe. Well i was wondering if i had these sway bar thing everyone talks about disconecting on my jeep and if i did where they would be located and how to disconect and reconect them. I have an idea of what they are but i figure it is better safe to ask than be sorry. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

Well then, guess thats one less thing i have to worry about. This might be an odd question to have asked in a jeep forum, but while were on the subject of sway bar disconnects, do you think my '94 chevy s-10 has them to disconnect when i go wheeling in the temporary piece of garbage that it is??? :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

I couldn't tell you for sure but it should have some
type of forward and rear stabilizers... :-D :-D [addsig]

Back