ignition

tom

I have a 80 cj5, I drive it everyday to work, and it has been

running great. The other day I went to start it and nothing

happened. The ignition lock cylinder seemed to be broke. So

I bought a new one, and also a new ignition switch just in case.

I put it all in and nothing happened still. To make a long story a

little shorter I determined my remote rod that connects to my ignition

switch is the problem. But the problem seems to be inside the shroud.

My problem now seems small, but I cannot figure out how to get the

shroud off so I can work on the problem. It is a plastic shroud that

doesn't seem to have any screws holding it on. I have it torn down as

as I can. If somebody knows how to get this off HELP
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I am not really followimg your question but remove the steering wheel and the guts.[addsig]

Thanks for responding, but I have everything off down to the

knuckle in the steering column, I wish I could draw a picture

because it is hard to explain. I want to take the rest of the

guts out, but I can't get to them because this shroud is in the

way. If you have a chiltons, there is a picture in there, it shows

a screw that comes out, but I can't find it.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ok I think I am following you..the plastic piece that is spring loaded???(push on it and it is difficult?)If that is it any autostore should have this tool. if I am wrong,then
image-missing.png
I dont know.

Its a dancing Banana!!!!!![addsig]

I all ready have the spring loaded piece off, I am down past

the turn signal switch, I have the ignition out and the housing

it sits in also. I am really close to the dash with the piece that

I can't get off, I am ready to cut it off. I can not find any screws

in it at all. I feel like an idiot, because it looks like it just slips over

the top of the sleeve that comes up out of the fire wall. It is more

or less like a beauty ring.[addsig]

Ok I know where you are at now......I have never had one apart so I do not know.....maybe it is screwed on???I look to see if I can find something[addsig]

I´m old as dirt and have worked on so many different types of cars I sometimes get confused. I had one apart a few years ago that had a big half moon locking clip on the top side of the column cover. After removing the clip I could slide the cover down to the electrical connector holder, which was far enough to do what I had to do. I´m trying to figure out what that rod is your talking about. I remember one type that switches from high beam to low beam. I remember another type that unlocked park on a floor shifter. Hope I´ve helped and not just confused you.[addsig]

Hope I'm not too late....the shroud is removed by releasing two plastic....clips, for lack of a better term, on the inside of the shroud. It has been a while since I took my shroud off, but I believe they are toward the top (steering wheel end) of the shroud. You just have to push them back using a screwdriver or similar, and slide the shroud off. I assume you have taken the entire column out of the jeep, but if not you will have to find the clips. Sorry i can't explain it better, but it's hard to describe without a pic, and like I said, it's been a while. The only way I can describe the clips is like a child proof drawer/cabinet clip. Hope this helps. [addsig]

By the way Tom, I'll bet a dime to a dollar the part you will need to replace is called a "lock rack". You can get a picture of it in Chiltons. It's one of the parts that gets broken when people attempt to steal jeeps. Consequently, you can purchase a "somebody-tried-to-steal-my-jeep" kit that contains that part for about $45 from a parts yard, but I don't know where you can get it seperately. Total ripoff on top of your current frustraition.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

im diggin up this old post, but it happened to me and i cant figure out how to get to the lock rack. i can hear it ratcheting, like its almost stripped or something. already replaced ignition switch and lock cylinder.[addsig]

You have got to be kiding me! This is the EXACT thing that happened to me Sunday. I've been trying to track down the same part and how to get it out. I'm at the same point, whole thing gutted except for the shroud. Ive looked and looked for the second clip, but can't find it.

There's a decent picture of the assembly in the Chilton's manuals. The remote rod connects to the lock rack and a small gear pulls the lock rack back and forth to trip the ignition switch.

I read a post somewere that the column is a GM, so I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow to look at all the GM's. My selection is pretty limited, but hopefully I can get something that will work.

I posted my problem here Sunday, but haven't got any hits yet.

BTW a rebuilt column is $280 plus shipping from http://columnsgalore.com

I'll let you know what I find at the yard...

edited by: Jeepskate, Jul 15, 2003 - 04:20 PM[addsig]

Back