how do i get my doors off...they seem to be rusted on

kelamb

can some tell me what to do, i have a 94 jeep and really want to get my doors off, can some one give me some advice

Well the door are just held on my the bolts on the hinge. undue the bolts and pull the door off. Just remember to pull the fuse for the overhead lights or it wont go off.

If you have the bolts off and they are just stuck because of rust/time try this: Put some wd40 on the hinges for a few min then get 2 people. One pulls up on the door close to the hinge and the other swing the door from the edge. It should work itself through.

You don't need to pull the fuse on YJ's, just un do the male/female connector in the door jam! (one on the pass side, two on the drivers) then leave the buzzer one undone forever cause it is annoying!

Johnny

PS If WD40 doesn't work, spray some PB blaster on the hinges, let sit over night, and they will pop right off!

i sprayed PB blaster on the hinge as i turned open and shut the door the full 180. other than that, just keep tugging away.

Heres how I did it the first time:

Take a rag, put it between the jeep and the bolts, so this way your wrench wont scratch the paint. Take the bolts off, your gonna lose the paint on those, deal with it, its no big deal.

Spray the crap outta the pins and hinges with WD40, wait a couple minutes

Get a buddy, spray the crap outta the doors again with WD40. Work the doors back and forth a few times, than have your buddy start to pull up while you take a rubber mallet to the ends of the bolts (The rubber mallet wont do damage or round them off like a regular hammer would, but be sure to use the rag idea again to save the paint) Tap the bolts and have your buddy pull up while working the doors back and forth a few times and before you know it, theyre off.

Than just spray all of it down with WD40 again and you should be able to get em off by yourself next time.

Asked my son to help me take the doors off, wife asked if it wasn´t dangerous driving around without doors.
Pulled the nuts off of the passengers side, and started swinging, spraying oil and lifting, when the thing finally popped off, it landed right on my big toe.
Went over to the drivers side removed the nuts,sprayed a little, me and my son grabbed that sucker pulled and twisted pretty hard and my son got popped, by the door right on the end of the hose, came off reall easy.
Came walking back in the house, me limping, my son holding his bloody nose, wife asked what happened, told her, driving without doors, is sure enough dangerous.

Laughing in sympathy with MudderChuck.

The first time I removed the "Bubbacon's" full hard-doors, no help was available.

The Jeep was in my garage, so I used a ratchet strap to provide the vertical pull. One end of the strap was hooked to a roof rafter and the other end hooked under the upper door hinge. Tightened the strap in steps, maintaining moderate tension, while fanning the door open and closed. The door gradually raised as the ratchet strap tension was increased.

The tricky part was guessing when the door hinge pins would clear the hinges so I could catch the roughly 70-pound door in mid-air.

Door removal can be done alone, but I would recommend that there should be three people on scene: One to fan the door open and closed, another to provide the upwards pull, and a third to administer first-aid.

:wink:

Regards,

Gadget

gas guage stuck on full

Thanks all for the help and suggestion, the doors are off, and the jeep is looking nice. i used a little elbow grease and wd40, and finally got them off. as for the big toe story, well i almost did the same things, so i know where you are coming from,

Well thanks again all, hope i can help answer any questions in the future, but for now i am still a new jeeper

Back