Can I have my soft tpp and hard top on at the same time?

jaketime81

I just reacently bought a 00 hart top for my 97 tj on ebay, but i have to pick it up in washington from sacramento. Will my soft top fold down under the hard top for the drive home?
-Jake

Nope!

What I do is to just remove the soft top, fold it up in the back, remove the mounts, rails and support bars for it, stick em in the back seat AFTER i have put the hard top on.

That reminds me... I'm gonna have to make a trek out to public storage soon for my hard top.

you can roll up your soft top and the hard top will go over it. However, you will not have a soft top next year. The Soft top comes from the factory like that "For shipping Purpases only" and needs to be removed or it will most likely be useless to you next spring.

actually, if you were to leave the soft top on, the rails would cover the holes in the tub that you would normally use to mount the hard top in the first place.

For what it's worth, the dealer told me I could have them both on at the same time. But, I dont know.

I'm only going to have it on for the trip to pick my hard top up. Ill remove it when I get home. with the windows removed i dont think it will be to hard on it. I can imagin how it could permanently damage the soft top it if it was stored like that for a whole winter season or something. I dont want to get stuck in rain without a top. Actually that would be fun, but my passengers might not agree.

ive been stuck in the rain a couple times, its not bad if its just sprinkling, but if its pouring it gets really cold and hard to see

LauraBoston said:
For what it's worth, the dealer told me I could have them both on at the same time. But, I dont know.

Hmm... must be a "TJ thing" then... :D
From what i've been able to tell by my CJ hard and soft top, i can't see how it would be possible to wear both tops at the same time

I think for the one time trip you would be fine. Just remove it when you get home like you said you plan too. When I bought mine with both tops the soft top was folded down under the hard top. The dealer did tell me that it is not a good idea to keep both on for a long period of time and that the factory just ships them that way.

Doesn't the soft top hardware cover the holes where the hard top bolts on to? Like somebody else said before, don't forget abou that.-Al

Got her lifted (BDS)

I happen to be at the stealership picking stuff up this weekend, and was checking out the new 04 TJ's, and they are shipped from the factory with the hard top installed as well as the Soft top still attached to the roll bars and rolled up and stuffed behind the rear seat, still attached to the hardware

I checked it out, and with the soft top folded down, the hard top mounting holes are still acessible and bolt hardware comes with little clips that hold the nut on underneith the tub edge. it should be a. o. k.

The Manual and Video suggest against it. But it is your Jeep. Hopefully it will not ruin it over the winter.

Back