AMC 20 axle replacement

Jeeplover

image-missing.png
I have a lead on a '77 CJ-7, 304, 3-spd, lifted, larger tires that supposedly
image-missing.png
had some sort of frame off resto performed. Problems I know of at present are a "sputter" in the engine (not too worried about that) and a spun rear axle. Question I have is how bad is replacing the rear axles with Superior or Moser (Opinions please) one piece axles? I've not had to do this on my '81 as of yet so I'm not sure what kind of can of worms I would be opening.
image-missing.png
Also any opinions on the year and drivetrain setup that came stock in this model would be appreciated.

On another note...what are the differences/similarities between a 304 and a 360? Alright I know one has more cubic inches.
image-missing.png
Please fill me in. Thanks in advance.

D
image-missing.png
[addsig]

As far as replacing the axles, it is pretty straight forward, take off tire, undo the rear brakes, and backing plate. You will need a slide hammer or puller to pop out the old AMC 20, 2-piece axle. WHen the axles are out, you must get your bearings pressed onto the new axles along with the backing plates , then, insert new races and seals, then the new axles, bolt them back to the flange, install brakes, tires, check rear-end fluid, and your done. This vehicle has the T-150 3 speed, model 20 TC, and the AMC 20 rear end. Gear ratio could be anywhere. The two engines are basically alike except for the Cubic inches, they share most parts. What do you need to know?[addsig]

Thanks for the info on the axle swap.

As far as the engine goes, most of the offroad I see is MUD. The ability to spin tires to clean the tread is important. If I'm looking to go with 35's or 38's which engine would be better suited for mud play. I know the rest of the drivetrain will need a serious buildup. The Dana 300 transfer case on my '81 is plenty stout for about anything thrown at it. The T-150 and T-176 are iffy as far as a built V-8 (say 250-300 hp). THe rear axle has potential from what I have read with the proper strength additions like one piece axles and some tack welds on the housing (have an article on that one; can't wait to see if it's true). I guess the questions on my mind are reliability, torque, possible power upgrades (ie cam, etc.), and ease of finding engine and parts. Help if you can please.

D
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Had a chance to look at this CJ-5 (not a CJ-7 like I was told) this weekend. Body is in great shape. Has a 2" body lift, 4" suspension lift, Black Jack headers on an AMC 304. Carb is a Holly that has had a backfire go through it (does this trash it to the replacement point or can it be rebuilt?), BF Goodrich Muds 35x12.5 with about 80% of tread, soft top with no leaks, front bumper with a receiver for a winch mount possible, good floorboards, fairly new timing chain, I think that's all. Oh! asking price of $600. What do you guys and gals think? Is this a grab it and run? Owner needs to get it out of parent's back yard where it has bee sitting for a couple of years. Let me hear some opinions please!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If it is as nice as you say.. for 600 bucks I would grab it and run like you stole the jeep. The lift and tires have to be worth that. Even if you had to get a new holley carb that is only around 250-300 depending on the model and size of carb. Just my 2 cents.[addsig]

GET IT!!!!
image-missing.png
that does not sound like a bad deal at all.

do you have to worry about emission testing or anything else?

make sure the paper work is clear,you dont want to pay for it then get
image-missing.png

would be a bummer to find out if there is a lean on it,or stolen
image-missing.png
[addsig]

We don't have emissions testing in midwest farmfields unless it is for cows
image-missing.png
. The title is clear and this is a go
image-missing.png
. Once I have the beast and sort things out I'll fill you in...stay tuned
image-missing.png

Owner says 500 cfm Holley experienced a backfire. He is under the impression the carb is toast. Should just be a power valve blown, right
image-missing.png

Beretta, you have a way with faces!!! You'll have to fill me in on the finer points sometime.

D
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey its a steal, like they said the lift motor and tires(if in good shape) is worth way more than that. The carb isnt a prob. either, a power valve can be repalced in 1/2 hour for under $20.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back