Door switches?

wm69

I wanna hook up some of those door switches on my CJ7 like they have on the wranglers (open doors, lights come on, close doors, lights go off). What would be involved in hooking these up? I think they are grounds, so looks like I could buy a couple wrangler switches and mount them, but what about the wiring. I can wire them up to work with the headlight switch, but how do I rig them up where they come on with that switch in the off position (so i can turn the lights on when the doors are closed)? I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple here, but I'd appreciate any help......

There are 2 wires to your interior lighting circuit, a 12volt "hot" wire, and a ground. The ground isn't actually grounded until you switch the light on. Wire the ground side of your light circuit to the door pin switch. The switch completes the path to ground when the door opens, completing the circuit and lighting the light.

I hope that was followable.

TwistedCopper said:
There are 2 wires to your interior lighting circuit, a 12volt "hot" wire, and a ground. The ground isn't actually grounded until you switch the light on. Wire the ground side of your light circuit to the door pin switch. The switch completes the path to ground when the door opens, completing the circuit and lighting the light.

I hope that was followable.

I should have mentioned that you'll leave everything wired the way it is, and the wire from the door switch will just be a jumper from the switch to the ground side of the circuit.

You can basically buy the $7 switch. If there are no wholes where they are suppose to be, then you will have to drill a hole. Connect a wire to the swith, and the other end to the ground wire to the dome light. When you open the door, the switch will "close" the circuit and turn the lights on. On the YJ's the wires already there (passenger & driver)-al

THANKS, I'll try it as soon as my wife leaves me alone with the jeep for a couple days......

Back