installing a warn winch on cj7

jeepofino

I think I have found a pretty good deal on a warn 8274 winch. It's the big one with the motor above the spool.Sells new for around $1100. The guy wants $500 for it and a snatch block. I plan to put it on a 82 cj7. Do I need dual batteries to run it?

I run my M8274 with a single deep-cycle battery.

My winch was built in '76, and they made them a while before that, so make sure it's in decent condition as it could be really old. There are some good web writeups on rebuilding them if it needs any work. It shouldn't need much for $500.

Got mine for $100, the motor was froze, and it needed a cable and controller. Nothing major. Still using that motor :wink:

What does tread lightly mean?

It belonged to some friends of mine and I do know that it's probably 8-10 years old, but has only been used 10 times or so and always covered. It belongs now to the grandson who is a mechanic. I don't think it needs anything. What type of mounting should I do?

Here's my mount made from two pieces of 1/4" steel, each 34"x7". Your CJ mount may need to be narrower than 34" to cover the frame rails.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Looks good Bounty.
Jeepofino...note that when you center the fairlead in the plate that the motor and housing are way off-set to the left side. This doesn't present a problem in most cases on Jeeps or the way Bounty has it but may with a brushguard.

Looking for a Jeep Club in Orlando

The only mod I may make(eventually) is to put it on a reciever hitch and put a plug on the leads so I can move it from front to back or another vehicle. Thanks Bounty for the pictures.

Don't do any side pulls with the receiver mount, everything will pretty much have to be straight on. Enjoy lugging that thing around from front to back and from vehicle to vehicle.

Back