Gearing in axle

UrbanJeep

if I change the gear ratio in the rear do I have to do the front as well... I would think yea and a couple of people said yes as well... But they weren't a 100% sure either so I figured I would ask you guys[addsig]

To use four wheel drive YES. Change both ends. If not a lot

of stuff will get broken. If you only change the back take out

the front driveshaft to ensure you do not engage the front

wheels.[addsig]

or use a different tire size to accomodate the different axle speed.... but i don't know anyone that would want to do that[addsig]

well my thing is this.... I have a D35 in the rear and its only 3.07 or something like that... if i get a D44 it goes to 3.71... No one makes lockers for the D35 unless you buy different ring and pinion and it goes pretty much to 4.88 and with the locker it then takes it to 5 some thing... Sooo in a nutshell I am better off buying a D44 from a junkyard and changing the gearing in both and then get the lockers done[addsig]

If you have a chance to buy a D44, do it because it well be better in the long run. You also have to have the some gear ratio in the front and the back axles to use four wheel drive. But you can drive your rig in two wheel drive with two different gear ratios.[addsig]

If your going to switch out your rear end you ought to consider a rear end out of an explorer. Here is a link that has some good info about the swap:8.8 swap info
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back