Problem - don't know where to start.

dove_face

Hey people
Okay - I'm going to cut to the chase and explain the issues easily - I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee straight 6, standard transmission. It was running okay until about a month ago - it has almost 148,000 miles on it. All of a sudden, one day while driving it, it suddenly kept jerking while in gear, and the check engine light came on - ever since then, it only happens when it feels like it - but when I am out driving, the Jeep will jerk in any gear and the check engine light suddenly comes on - upon stopping and turning off the ignition, the check engine light goes off, and it either behaves, or the same thing happens again. The other thing I have noticed is it will lose all power going up hills - to the point I am in 2nd gear, doing 55mph just to get up a hill without it shaking violently and having NO power to get up it. Are these two things related? If they are, what is going on?! If they arent, any ideas on what either issue is being caused by? I know what I thought it may be, but I want other peoples untainted opinions on this - its become a serious issue - esp. when I have 2 kids - one is 6 and one is only 2 and a half months - in the Jeep. Thanks so much everyone!

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If there are no codes to pull then "Done" will appear.

this should tell you what the computer *thinks* is wrong. If that doesn't work then take it to the local parts store (advance auto, autozone, etc) and ask them to pull the codes for you.

This should give you an idea where to start. It could be quite a few things (clogged fuel filter, injectors, etc).

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If there are no codes to pull then "Done" will appear.

this should tell you what the computer *thinks* is wrong. If that doesn't work then take it to the local parts store (advance auto, autozone, etc) and ask them to pull the codes for you.

This should give you an idea where to start. It could be quite a few things (clogged fuel filter, injectors, etc).

Hi Terry
I actually dont have a digital anything in this Jeep - or electric anything for that matter! :) Thanks for helping though - I am taking it to autozone today though.
Thanks

Possibly a bad TPS or O2 sensor maybe. Get someone to scan it for DTC's to narrow it down for the possible cause.

You can go to Advance Auto or AutoZone and ask them to pull the codes (The scan SteelHeadz is referring to). This service should be free and they can normally explain what the codes mean so you know where to start.

Not as easy to pull the codes on a '94 as it's OBDI, not OBDII like the '96+. Most parts stores can't connect to the diagnostic ports under the hood, takes a shop with the correct equipment.

My bet is a bad CPS (crank position sensor) or connector at the CPS. Very common.

dove_face said:
Hey people
Okay - I'm going to cut to the chase and explain the issues easily - I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee straight 6, standard transmission. It was running okay until about a month ago - it has almost 148,000 miles on it. All of a sudden, one day while driving it, it suddenly kept jerking while in gear, and the check engine light came on - ever since then, it only happens when it feels like it - but when I am out driving, the Jeep will jerk in any gear and the check engine light suddenly comes on - upon stopping and turning off the ignition, the check engine light goes off, and it either behaves, or the same thing happens again. The other thing I have noticed is it will lose all power going up hills - to the point I am in 2nd gear, doing 55mph just to get up a hill without it shaking violently and having NO power to get up it. Are these two things related? If they are, what is going on?! If they arent, any ideas on what either issue is being caused by? I know what I thought it may be, but I want other peoples untainted opinions on this - its become a serious issue - esp. when I have 2 kids - one is 6 and one is only 2 and a half months - in the Jeep. Thanks so much everyone!

The shaking is prob your u-joints. I'm almost positive. Just replace them.

As for the jumping, I think something similar happened to me in my cj. I can't remember how I fixed it but if I do I'll let you know.

I had the same problem in my '05 2.4L. Ended up being a bad (loose) wire on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and ultimately a bad TPS. Replaced the TPS and have had NO problem since then

Oh ok I remember how the jumping was fixed for me. I corrected the firing order, it had a weird firing order.

I would put my money on the fuel filter. Had almost the same problem and that's what it was.

I've had the same thing happen when the "sock" fell off of the fuel pump. It aerates the fuel at the pump inlet right at the bottom of the tank.

Back