used YJ lift "kit" help

gulkster

So I bought a used lift kit, but it turns out all I got was springs and shocks...(I got a bunch of stuff at the same time, and I didn't know what I should be getting). It is a 4 inch lift, but now I need a shopping list for all the other parts I need to pick up. So far all I know is I need a drop pitman arm. From there I am not sure. Do I get different sway bar links or just brackets? What about a steering stabilizer? Can I get away with dropping the T-case a bit (how much?) or should I be investing in a SYE? What else am I missing? This is a weekend warrior YJ that doesn't get extreme, just fun amounts of off-roading.

I want to get this lift on, as my stock springs are so whipped they flat or worse and causing me enough axle wrap to be concerned! Will the lift make this inherently worse, or will the new springs make it better? If not, I will install an anti-wrap setup I guess.
Thanks in advance.

Heres what comes in a typical "kit"( I just copied it from the Rough Country 4"kit ad)

Kit Contents:
Front:
Lifted leaf springs,
transfer case drop kit,
power steering pitman arm,
sway-bar links,
track bar drop bracket,
Brake line relocation brackets,
bump-stops, u-bolts and hardware.

Rear: Lifted leaf springs,
track bar drop bracket,
brake-line relocation bracket,
bumpstops, u-bolts and hardware.

Shocks: Included

They "suggest" the SYE & cv driveshaft
But if you are mostly street you are probably ok w/o for now;-)

Thanks Kimberly,
Maybe I should just call RC and see if they can send me the rest of the "kit" I bought :))

No problem;-)
However... Think I would price out those individual components here & there... prior to calling RC... In a perfect world it would be nice if RC would just back out the price of the springs (their retail$ on 4" springs is about $420;-0) and charge the difference.. Hmmm about $29. ...(their kit .. Shocks w/shocks is 449. ) not likely to happen;-)
4" drop pitman alone is about 69$ -- ;-)
But seriously, you have the list so pricing it out would be worth the time ...

I like the $29 idea, I think I'll pitch that and see what they say ;) I will definitely price out those components.

Ditched the track bars and sway bars on mine and didn't even notice it even on the street. Didn't use a drop pitman arm either. This was on an 88 and axle wrap wasn't an issue with the sping under setup.

i tried driving with no sway bars. we get much wind here to feel comfortable. i put them back on. the trac bars went to the recycle bin though

I'd recommend ditching both the front and rear trackbars. Pick up some swaybar disconnects for a 4" kit and a 1" transfer case drop, you should be good. Relocate the hardline to the front rubber brake lines a little further down on the frame to get some extra length.

I don't run trackbars or a swaybar on my YJ but it's not for everyone. Running on the road without your swaybar will depend a lot on how stiff your springs are and how comfortable you are with how the jeep handles.

grand cherekee pitman arm is same and cheaper then drop pitman arm. So I've been told

You should NOT need a drop pitman arm with a 4" lift. It's only required in specific applications where you're trying to match the angle of the track bar with the draglink.

Wow, this is all great information. I will try disconnecting everything (well, sway bars and trac bars) first and see if I am comfortable. I think my YJ handles like a bag of you know what, as my other ride is an old air-cooled 911. I don't have the YJ for its on road capabilities :)) If the handling is beyond me, I'll pick up sway bar disconnects. Thank you everyone; I am new to this stuff and really do appreciate all the help. Anyone else run a 4" lift with the standard pitman arm? Can anyone confirm the grand cherokee is the same as a dropped YJ one just in case? Thanks again.

I too have frequently encountered info indicating that the stock ZJ pitman is the same as a yj drop pitman designed for a 4" lift....... And about 30$+ cheaper......

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

post up pics of that 911 too. i love those old 911s, they are one of the most beautiful cars made.

Don't forget that members here get a discount at Rough Country

Get a 10% Jeepz.com member discount off of all Rough Country products when you call 1-800-222-7023 and ask for Dustin @ ext 110.

Didn't mess with the pitman arm on mine but yes a ZJ pitman arm will give you about an inch drop. This is needed more with the 4 link set ups on Cherokees and TJ Wranglers.

Man, I always forget that!! I am going to check their site, I need some things

Yeah, I thought about Dustin...the only problem for me is the shipping across the border :( I gotta eat the shipping cost which kind of sucks, but what do you do. I will post a couple pics of the 911 when I have a chance (i.e. get to my other computer).

for the pitman arm, go to the junk yard and get a stock XJ pitman arm, it will lower the steering link enough and will be near free.

Dicth both trac bars

Ditch the steering stabilizer

Avoid any t-case drop, get a SYE and do it right the first time

I would also dict the sway bar, but thats me.

other than the shocks and springs, the ony things you will need to address, brake lines, pitman arm, and I strongly suggest the SYE and CV rear shaft. you can find a stock XJ front shaft and cut it down and run it in the rear of your YJ.

Awesome. I am about to start dismantling in the next couple days. I've been looking at the XJ front drive shaft conversion, and someone wrote in another thread to be sure it has a good ball-centering unit. How can one tell? Should you just assume its bad (I don't know what "it" is yet :) ) and install a new one? I am certainly going to look into this SYE setup.

Back