Vibe problems.

Craig

Hey. I've recently noticed a new vibration in the jeep. It's most noticeable on the highway at speeds of around 60mph and up under acceleration. It vibrates, then smooth, vibrates, then smooth, vibrates, then smooth............... It stops when I let off the gas. It's not noticeable at slower speeds so I'm thinking it could be my driveshaft out of balance. I've got a whole new rearend with a Detroit locker. Is there anything in a new rearend or locker that needs to be retorqued over time that might have come loose? I've never gotten into the gears before so I don't know much about how they're held in place or how the locker is installed. Anything else that could be causing this vibe? I called a transmission shop and they said it wouldn't be the transmission but possibley the transfercase.

Just a thought, as I am not a Jeep expert but have some experience in general automotive.

If it vibrates during accelleration or at a higher road/engine speed, think torque reaction. Motor mounts, transmission mounts or u-joints.

If under significant accelleration, it could also be rear axle reaction, therefore, worn spring mounts/bushings could cause the axle to go out of alignment and you'd start "dog-tracking".

Hope this gives you something else to consider.

One other thing ... if your u-joints were replaced last week, is your mechanic (you?) certain the driveshaft went back in the way it came out?

It used to be drivelines were balanced from the output shaft in the transmission (not sure about xfer cases) clear to the yoke of the differential. We used to have to "index" the yokes to make sure the driveshaft did not get put in 180* out of phase.

Don't think it's motor mounts because I'd probably notice it also at slower speeds under a high rpm and hard acceleration. It only vibrates when in gear under acceleration at high speeds.
It vibrated the exact same way before the u-joints were replaced last week so I'm sure the driveshaft went back in the way it came out. I do have a large dent in the driveshaft but it's been balanced since I made the dent and have had no vibe problems for almost a year with the dented driveshaft balanced. I'm taking it into the shop on Monday. If they can't figure it out I'll put in my SYE kit I've had sitting here for almost 2 years and get a cv driveshaft made up. Hopefully that'll cure it.

i too have the same problem .. have been at a loss for what the prob is but chalked it up to unbalanced driveshaft/'s ... glad i glanced at this one , i'm new to working on jeeps but have been turning wrenches on GM's for years never ran into this problem though nothing even in the manuals fully describe the full symptoms

Back